• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pimp my Arcanist

Eman Resu

First Post
edit -I meant Archivist, Looking to start 1st level campaign, we usually start 5th+, so this will be new. I wanted to continue with the "new" theme and play something new, an Archivist. The Archivist is a class from the Heroes of Horror. I like the feel of this class, seems like a great party support class, and wanted to learn from those that have already played one.

So like the title says "pimp my Archivist" or "optimize my Archivist"

There is a 50/50 chance this campaign may be gestalt, I hope not, but it will come down to a player vote. So keep this in mind, with your suggestions.

thanks

Eman Resu

Last edited:

Herzog

Adventurer
If you combine arcane caster levels with a single level of Sacred Exorcist, consider also taking a level in Silver Pyromancer (Eberron, Five Nations) since it lets you do 1d6/effective turning lvl damage to undead, your effective turning lvl being your effective cleric lvl + your Arcane Caster Level....
(Note, however, that you will loose a spellcaster lvl from taking that Silver Pyromancer lvl....)

Eman Resu

First Post
the Archivist has access to all domain spells, is there a 3.0/3.5 domian spell resource I can find on line? This broad access is a very good feature of this class, anybody experience with this class?

Veven1290

First Post
I was also looking for what would max out my darklore roll, skill focus etc?

I am playing an Archivist right now and my best friend has been the 2nd lvl cleric spell, "Divine Insight" from the spell compendium. It grants you a bonus to one skill check = to 5 + CL max 15. It's brilliant for using with Dark Knowledge.

Eman Resu

First Post
how do you like the class so far? the feel/flavor? Power/strength comparatively? good buffer as I would anticipate ie worthy party member? I want to play one out of curiosity and was looking for a little insight, thanks for the spell suggestion.

Veven1290

First Post
I absolutely love it! I joined an on going campaign at level 5 and have played him up to level 8. You can do pretty much anything you want. Access to all divine spells, a decent amount of wizard spells through domains. With Divine Power you can fight pretty well if it becomes necessary(better with dark knowledge, every body is surprised when the book worm is doing 1d10 +3d6 melee damage). And your sizable skill list combined with the Divine Insight spell allows you to fill the skill monkey role pretty well too.

As far as feats go i would say just take what you like. The archivist is pretty well built on it's own. I took a bunch of feats that suit the character more than any particular build. Improved flight (He's a Raptoran), The two feats that allow Dark Knowledge to work against Dragons, Constructs, Giants, and Fey (or some similar set of monsters, feats are called Draconic Archivist, and Archivist of nature), and Improved Initiative. If you need to do healing too Touch of Healing is very useful, get your allies up to half HP for free (i have it too, playing with flaws if you couldn't tell). Even with out that a wand of lesser vigor will keep the party going (you should have one of these anyways, most cost effective healing in the game). Knowledge Devotion is also a thematic feat for an Archivist too.

Here is a link to WOtC's feat index if you need the sources on any of those.
Feat Index.

TL;DR, The archivist is Tier 1 for a reason.

Fallenibilis

First Post
Im also currently playing one well im multiclassing it with wizard but i am playign one as far i can tell i love the class i like the theme alot and the access to all divine spells is a huge boon. Remember the NPC adept class's spells are divine so that means it's spells are fair game too.

Powerwise its great but for me it comes down to role playing and i get the works out of the class. In my game i ended with taint so my character has prophetic dreams (which though it is bad, i think is really cool/flavorfull) so i took the feat dreamtelling which is a nice roleplaying type feat that synergizes nicely with the class.

Remove ads