• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pirate base class?

RigaMortus

Explorer
Was there ever a Pirate base class printed in any WotC book or Dragon Magazine? I could have sworn there was once. Perhaps the issue where they stated Ninja's and Pirate were arch enemies, and they listed a base class Ninja...

If there is a base class pirate, can anyone post the stats and stuff they get every level. At the very least, tell me what issue or book it can be found in?

The Souljourner

First Post
Pirate PrC I've seen, but no base class. Seems like being a pirate is mostly a flavor thing... I mean, what class abilities would a pirate get that would be different from a rogue or fighter?

-The Souljourner

Pax

Banned
Banned
Just use Fighter for the burly types, or Swashbuckler Rogue for the agile types.

2E had a pirate kit for rogues, maybe that's what you're thinking of?

RigaMortus

Explorer
No, I am pretty sure it was in the Dragon issue that had a Ninja as a base class. If it is not in that issue, then I must have imagined it.

I guess I could always go for the Dread Pirate from the 3.0 splat book (Song and Silence?)...

silverblade

First Post
The mariner base class from the Dragonlance Age of Mortals book is very piratey. It's 3.5 so no converting. Just change the name.

Last edited:

Khayman

First Post
Nothing core... the only thing that comes close is in 3.0, in Sword & Fist p.55. Not a class, just an advancement track for a fighter with a list of recommended skills & feats for piratey-type characters.

You could use that as a model for a Fighter variant along the lines of the Thug (Unearthed Arcana p.51). By swapping some skills you get this:

Class skills: As Fighter, plus Balance, Profession (sailor), Spot, Use Rope.
Skill Points: Increase to 4 + Int per level.
Weapon & Armour Proficiencies: Proficient with all simple & martial weapons, and with light armour only.
Bonus feats: The variant does not gain the bonus fighter feat at 1st level (to offset the increased skill points) but gets them normally at higher levels. [You could have the Pirate pull from a modified list of bonus feats, based on those in the S&F track.]

Otherwise identical to Fighter.
I'd also switch the good save from Fortitude to Reflex, but that's personal preference.

Ripper-nk

First Post
(official material)

Pirate-like Prestige Classes:

Corsair - Dragon 321
Dread Pirate - Song and Silence
Duelist - Dungeon Master Guide 3.5

Pirate-like Base Classe:

Swashbuckler - Complete Fighter

Remove ads