Pirate Borg -- any of you scurvy dogs have it?

Weiley31

Legend
I want to get Pirate Borg as one of my New Gen OSR/TTRPG goals at the moment is pretty much getting/collecting all the "Major" Borg line of stuff so that way I can make one unholy combination of Borg where there is a campaign where an option is allowing classes from the various Borg games to be playable in it.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Just finished running Buried in the Bahamas. My face hurts from laughing and smiling. Fantastic, fantastic experience.

None of us had played a Borg game before, but everyone had a great attitude and we picked it up quickly (only one combat round went by before we remembered that the PC rolls all dice in combat, not the DM).

Buried in the Bahamas is, as expected, an excellent short adventure that features every element but naval combat (I need to figure out a VTT to use before doing that). The only thing that could have made it better would have been combining the second act of the adventure with Castaway, which I will be putting money aside to pick up soon.

A great experience. I definitely intend to run Buried in the Bahamas at next Gen Con Online, alongside Shadowdark.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
This weekend's game went so well that I'm thinking of running a "Flex Mode" game over the holidays, where I just use the random generators to create a settlement, pirates and a treasure map and run it all on the fly. The generators -- even before Dark Caribbean comes out, which appears to be bringing even more of them to the game -- look more than robust enough to allow this.

(I'll probably also do a "Flex Mode" game for Shadowdark, too, just using a random megadungeon map from Dyson or 0one Games and Shadowdark's robust generators.)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Just ran Buried in the Bahamas for a group of players who weren't able to attend last time. This group was less crazy than the last one -- these were folks who get interested in solving puzzles more than wreaking havoc -- but it was another success. Strong recommendation for this adventure, for those who've picked up the main book.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The only thing that could have made it better would have been combining the second act of the adventure with Castaway, which I will be putting money aside to pick up soon.
Just picked this up. It's wild, and more Lost than I had gone in expecting. This probably would work well as a prequel to Pirate Borg, as a kind of funnel to run before piratey goodness. (Victory in Castaway is getting picked up by a ship, and there's the chance that it's pirates. Using this as a prequel would probably mean it's always pirates.)

A character that survives Castaway would probably be a pretty robust Pirate Borg character, with access to a powerful magic item or two, and probably some mental or physical health issues.

There are new monsters that would work with Pirate Borg, although they tend to be less over the top horror and more serious horror stuff. There's a cool giant hermit crab that lives inside shipwrecked hulls, though, that is just plain great for nautical adventures.

kapars

Adventurer
Just picked this up. It's wild, and more Lost than I had gone in expecting. This probably would work well as a prequel to Pirate Borg, as a kind of funnel to run before piratey goodness. (Victory in Castaway is getting picked up by a ship, and there's the chance that it's pirates. Using this as a prequel would probably mean it's always pirates.)

A character that survives Castaway would probably be a pretty robust Pirate Borg character, with access to a powerful magic item or two, and probably some mental or physical health issues.

There are new monsters that would work with Pirate Borg, although they tend to be less over the top horror and more serious horror stuff. There's a cool giant hermit crab that lives inside shipwrecked hulls, though, that is just plain great for nautical adventures.
Ah great, here I thought I had every book I could ever want after Christmas and now I see this :)

Remove ads