• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Piratecat, I have succumbed! (Warning: some OSM spoilers)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
One of the things that I really appreciate is the way that you have allowed tracking to be a useful talent, and one that is missed if it isn't there. I have often thought it a shame that the Core rules don't make more of the tracking skill as a way of determining what has happened in a place, rather than the simplistic following of some tracks. Too many adventures just say "the tracks are too muddied for tracking to tell you anything". Feh I say to that!

Another thing that I really like is that in many cases (tracks, searches, gather info) you give increasing information for increasingly good skill check results. I much prefer this to the "DC15 to find everything or nothing".

Another thing that I like - your descriptions are short and evocative, not boring. Evocative descriptions are easier to remember when using someone elses work and thus convey to the players. I particularly like the mine scenes (this is as far as I've read in detail now) and the sense of cohesiveness.

The only thing so far that I would have liked slightly different is that in the town info you give NPC's name and hit points but that is all... I would at least have liked their class and level mentioned at that point (There. A complaint. That proves I'm not just a fanboy :))

Cheers

JRRNeiklot

First Post
Fiery James said:

Of Sound Mind was the first product to feature our "2002 WIDESCREEN COVER" look, and we're very happy with the result.

- James

Oh man, I was SO gonna get this, but not now. I HATE wide screen. For me, it's pan-and-scan or nothing!

Fiery James

First Post
Plane Sailing said:

The only thing so far that I would have liked slightly different is that in the town info you give NPC's name and hit points but that is all... I would at least have liked their class and level mentioned at that point (There. A complaint. That proves I'm not just a fanboy :))

Cheers

Of course, all of the townsfolk mentioned are fully statted in the Appendix, along with cute little Claudio pictures!

Except for Master Heath, of course.... ;)

- James

machine

First Post
OK... I too have succumbed.

Based on the comments in this thread, I just ordered Of Sound Mind from S&S's web site.

How's that fit in the market research? :)

machine.

Holden MaGroin

First Post
JRRNeiklot said:

Oh man, I was SO gonna get this, but not now. I HATE wide screen. For me, it's pan-and-scan or nothing!

Well, if Blockbuster continues with their plans to stop carrying widescreen, maybe you can buy it from them! :)

Now I'm really looking forward to this!

- HM

Wolfspirit

First Post
Heh, one of the things I love (aside from the plot, characters... you get the idea) is that there is a CR guide on the inside front cover. Maybe I've bought too many Wizards modules, but is this a new thing?

*drools at the thought of not having to flip through the entire thing to find a stupid goblin's atk rating*

KidCthulhu

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:

One question: What the HELL do you need that DRAGON counter for?

Aaaaaaaaaaaah!

Wulf

Duh. The game is called Dungeons and Dragons, right? D&D products come with a little dragon. It's kind of like the little aligator on Izod shirts.

Only bigger and with claw/claw/claw/claw/bite/wing buffet/tail lash.

FDP-jason

First Post
cr chart

Wolfspirit said:
Heh, one of the things I love (aside from the plot, characters... you get the idea) is that there is a CR guide on the inside front cover. Maybe I've bought too many Wizards modules, but is this a new thing?

*drools at the thought of not having to flip through the entire thing to find a stupid goblin's atk rating*

Hi Wolfspirit,

All Fiery Dragon adventures thus far have included a "Challenge Chart" like this, listing the CR and ELs of the adventure, along with relevant game stats.

We'll be departing a little from this formula in our next few adventures, which are primiarly higher level and more complex (Beyond All Reason is 72 pages and full of baddies! Queen of Lies is Monte Cook's dark elf adventure - you can't expect to NOT encounter hordes of evil there, can you...?)

So, these next few will have CR tables detailing all of the critters and characters encountered, but not necessarily in the same format found in earlier products. Each encounter in the adventure will also list the EL. Beyond All Reason (which is 72 pages!) does feature a chart that'll help you track all of the "footsoldier" type combats, where you'll encounter multiple fire giants, gnolls, trolls, hellhounds, etc.

We normally try to make our products as DM-friendly as possible, and our freelancers (Piratecat and Mearls in particular) take this a step further.

Keep the good words coming. Piratecat deserves praise for this one!

- Fiery Jason

KidCthulhu

First Post
Well, just to get you slavering for more, Pkitty and I spent quite a while discussing OSM2 & OSM3 yesterday. Long walks in the woods and plotting evil things to do to PCs. These are the things marriages are made of.

Remove ads