• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Piratecat writes new book, world on hold!

tabrumj

First Post
As far as I know Ethan is still the Line Director, but everyone at White Wolf works on projects other than their official role, i.e. Justin Achilli writeing the Calastia book despite being the Vampire Developer.

Pireatcat I am a bit currious on something. What section of the book did you write? I know that specifics on contents are still under NDA but if you could let us know in general what you are doing it would be great.

SSS-Druid

First Post
Well, let me touch base on a couple of things.

This book is set in the Scarred Lands, rather than a Scarred Lands sourcebook - that is, it is closer to Relics & Rituals than it is to Burok Torn.

I firmly believe that prestige classes are best used to help define and expand a campaign setting; I hate "generic" prestige classes. It is my belief that one of the best ways to help PCs feel a part of any campaign setting is by establishing clear ways in which their classes have influenced that setting. Wizards learn their magic from one another - this is going to lead to the development of entire traditions of magic, who share more than spells, but superstitions, secret handshakes and the like. If sorcery is passed on through the blood, then it makes sense that there should be "witch families" and eldritch bloodlines. Bards carry on the musical traditions of an entire culture.

These are the kinds of things that we are interested in exploring, and since we aren't willing to do that in a "generic" sense, we are going to do it for the Scarred Lands.

So, yes, there is quite a bit of Scarred Lands lore here; but it is also an excellent example of how a campaign setting is shaped by the various classes in its history. Just scratch off some of the serial numbers and change some proper nouns and you have a book full of useful resources.

And our Piratecat is writing the Sorcerers section of this book. ;)

Jarval

Explorer
This sound cool. I've got no problem with scratching out a few names, and a bit of context always helps with PrCs.

Plus a sorcerers section by PirateCat is turning this into a must buy :)

So, just one question. When is Of Sound Mind 2 coming out? :D

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Thanks for clarifying that Joseph. Myself, I just need more! :D Mmm but I'm glad PC/Kev is taking a shot as sorcerers. Hopefully I'll get to see more of these bloodline things. I'd love to see that.

Oh and I hope you didn't forget when doing the Clerics/Druids book to bring in more of the "Titansblood" themes to the book. I doubt the guys working on did but just a concern of mine Joseph. :)

Holy Bovine

First Post
SSS-Druid said:
Well, let me touch base on a couple of things.

This book is set in the Scarred Lands, rather than a Scarred Lands sourcebook - that is, it is closer to Relics & Rituals than it is to Burok Torn.

I firmly believe that prestige classes are best used to help define and expand a campaign setting; I hate "generic" prestige classes. It is my belief that one of the best ways to help PCs feel a part of any campaign setting is by establishing clear ways in which their classes have influenced that setting. Wizards learn their magic from one another - this is going to lead to the development of entire traditions of magic, who share more than spells, but superstitions, secret handshakes and the like. If sorcery is passed on through the blood, then it makes sense that there should be "witch families" and eldritch bloodlines. Bards carry on the musical traditions of an entire culture.

These are the kinds of things that we are interested in exploring, and since we aren't willing to do that in a "generic" sense, we are going to do it for the Scarred Lands.

So, yes, there is quite a bit of Scarred Lands lore here; but it is also an excellent example of how a campaign setting is shaped by the various classes in its history. Just scratch off some of the serial numbers and change some proper nouns and you have a book full of useful resources.

And our Piratecat is writing the Sorcerers section of this book. ;)

This sounds very promising! I have been consistantly impressed by the higher levels of creativity and quality that each successive layer of Scarred Lands lore. I hope you also plan to cover the other classes (especially Clerics, Rogues and Barbarians - these could offer some real 'meat' to background/society's/guilds and whatnot IMO)

And no, I'm not just sucking up because S&SS accepted some of my stuff for R&R2.

Really! I'm not!! :D

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
I know you're not Bov! :) And yes there will be more for the other core classes.

The second book Is (I believe) Fighters and Barbarians, Druids and Clerics and then Rangers and Rogues. Of course they may do Psion and Psionic Warrior DEPENDING on how well the other books due, but I for one DEFINATELY can't wait to see it.

Btw, just to keep you in the loop, there will be a revised version of Creature Collection 1, fixing not just mechanics, but making templates (Hags as one), and also giving ELCs/Stat modifiers for playable PC races (I'm guessing Harpies and Manatorcia for starters.) PLUS there will be an appendix detailing which monster goes with which Titan and if they they appear. I can post the link to the interview to help you understand what's coming up.

Joseph's Interview with Ian Watson for Wolf's Spoor

Alaric_Prympax

First Post
It sounds really good. I look forward to it. So far I haven't been disappointed with any SL product and I'm doubly happy to get something written by our own PC. I like the way you described PrC's and agree with it. :cool:

Furn_Darkside said:
I am beginning to think the suggestion of OSM2 was just one of his cruel dm tricks against us poor widdle innocent EN world citizens.

FD

NOOOOooooooo!!!!! I MUST have OSM2!!!! (But wouldn't that be Fiery Dragon Productions and not SSS? Didn't FDP leave SSS? I think they did.)

Last edited:

William Ronald

Explorer
Kudos to Kevin!!

Piratecat, can you provide any hints on your views on sorcerers? Nothing that would violate any confidentiality agreements, but maybe a hint.

Magical societies can add a lot to a campaign setting. Everything from a sense of history and depth to built-in-rivalries and plot lines.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads