• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pirates of the Caribbean... Davy Jones statblocks

Thomas Percy

First Post
I wonder, what is the race, the type/subtype, and the class of Davy Jones - the captain of Flying Dutchman from "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" movie and his fish-like-sailors.

Do you have a statblocks or link to the stats of him and them?

Thanks for any suggestion and help.

I think I can use THIS Flying Dutchman in "Maiden's Voyage" d20 adventure.

Last edited:

Kunimatyu

First Post
He doesn't fit neatly into any type:

He's got the "squishiness" of an aberration...
The "dead man's chest" thing evokes the flavor of a lich, an undead...
He was once a person, so augmented humanoid isn't out of the question...
And some lines by Sparrow suggest Outsider(native) wouldn't be out of the question as well.

I'd probably make him an aberration, but it's difficult to pin him down, especially as there's undoubtedly a lot we don't know about him that'll be revealed in the 3rd Pirates movie.

Psion

Adventurer
I'd think outsider, myself. He doesn't appear undead, but he does have an afterlife vibe to him, as well as an elemental one ("I am the sea"), both of which are common takes on outsiders.

Ferret

Explorer
I vote outsider too. That allows the once human vibe and the heart in a box vibe too. You also need to put in the whole Kraken shiz too.

rowport

First Post
If you handwaved the immortal curse bit, you could likely get his stats with just a human rogue/dread pirate taking the aberration heritage feat chain from Lords of Madness.

Aeric

Explorer
So far we've seen that he has the following powers:

--Create undead minions (his crew)
--Breathe underwater (assuming he needs to breathe at all)
--Limited teleportation (any area that is touching water?)
--His heart acts as a lich's phylactery

He has an artifact on board the Flying Duchman which allows him to call and control the kraken (I'm thinking that Lord Beckett wanted the heart so he could blackmail Jones into working for him, not to directly control the kraken with it).

And, of course, there's the Flying Dutchman itself, which can move underwater as well as on the surface of it.

I would definitely call Jones undead. His various aquatic critter-parts seem to be a result of sea life merging with his body, the same as with the rest of his crew.

As for his alignment, I would go with LE, since he is definitely fond of bargains, deals, and contracts--and twisting them to his favor ("you're free to go--as soon as we make port!").

His crew seem to share the same ability to teleport, although we've only seen them teleport from ship to ship...it could be some kind of Tree Stride-like ability, but it only works on wood. It might also be that they can only use this ability when Jones wants them to, otherwise he'd probably have a lot more runaways.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads