• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pitiful cleric encounters

paigeoliver

First Post
I was just looking over Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil and I noticed that it was just chock full of a certain kind of encounter that I had been noticing since I started gaming, albeit one that no one ever seems to talk about.

That is the "Pitiful Cleric" encounter.

The encounter usually consists of a single cleric (usually around the level of the party, sometimes a level or two lower, which is even worse). These encounters are most common in low to mid level adventures as higher level clerics usually have backup.

The characters then happen upon this evil cleric and of course they attack him. As a gamemaster I can either attempt to cast a spell (either save or suck, or self buff) and be cut to ribbons before I get another action. Or I can just go right in swinging (and have a very small chance of maybe taking someone negative before I die), in which case the encounter should have just been with a warrior to begin with.

It is even worse when the module suggests tactics for these craptastic clerics (for some reason module writers who write tactics always seem to assume that some how that lone 1 or 2 hit die foe with low AC is going to survive for half a dozen rounds against a party of six characters). Even Gary Gygax was bad about writing tactics for solo 1 hit die monsters.

Monkey Boy

First Post
I seem to recall each section of the dungeon being described as re-active when I ran it. The intention being that the single cleric would hear you beating up the Gnoll guards and come and join the fun. The clerics stats were simply put in the room in which he would most likely be found when the complex wasn't under attack by a party of hero's.

RTtTOEE encounters are not intended to occur in a vacuum.

Blackbrrd

First Post
That is how I ran it Monkey Boy!

Just wait to you get to the Pitiful 14th level Cleric with the madness domain... He had time to get a sorcerer to cast Haste on him in my campaign and summon two huge fiendish dire bears. He then proceded to cast Disinitegrate (DC 25-ish), Destruction (DC 25-ish) and Confusion (DC 24-ish). He wiped the whole party except the Half-dragon teleporting out with the gnome under his arm. :p

A

amerigoV

Agreed with several of the posters. Clerics make excellent BBEG - they have armor, decent hit points, buffs, and killer spells at high level. As said above, it is assumed they are buffed and ready for the fight, not standing there with no spells (also, RttToEE is 3.0 - so it assumed Bulls Str/Bears Endur/etc were running since buff spells lasted hour/level).

I rearranged some of the ending, but Hedrack just about wiped the party with only a bit of help.

Plus, nothin says lovin like Death Knelling a PC that is in negative hps

Remove ads