• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pixies

What do I do?

• Ban it all! Make her play something else!

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Allow it all! Everything sleeps, every fight!

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Ban the arrows! That :):):):) is broken!

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • Let her have a limited number of arrows! She gets them, but only like a d4 or d6 of each!

Votes: 19 35.2%

Old Gumphrey

First Post
Got a player wants to be a PIXIE. That's right. A pixie. I don't care about the greater invisibility at will, or the +8 dex/+6 int/+4 wis/+6 cha. What I care about is the Extraordinary Ability they get stating that they have Sleep arrows and Memory Loss arrows. Since playing "monsters" as a PC race get the ECL, that means they get all the abilities of that "monster". Right? A PC troll gets to regenerate. So this PC pixie would in theory have craptons of these arrows. What these arrows do is they have a DC 10 + cha + 2 racial bonus fort save, and they either put you to sleep as per the spell (REGARDLESS OF HIT DICE), or they cause your entire memory to be erased except for your special abilities and class features.

Ok...

So what the hell do I do about this?

Thanee

First Post
The DCs ain't that bad... maybe at the lower levels, but not later on.

But having unlimited arrows just seems a bit weird. Maybe giving her a supply (i.e. 6 each), which slowly replenishes (i.e. 1 per night, as she makes new ones)?

Bye
Thanee

TYPO5478

First Post
At what level of play are they starting? If you're starting at level 1, the thing I'd pay attention to is the fact that she'll have one hit die... for five levels. Even if she's a pixie barbarian, that's 12 hit points plus Con until she gains 15,000 XP. And if she's going to play the favored class (sorcerer), it'll be 4 plus Con. How many other level 5 characters do you know with 6 hit points?

The first thing that hits her is going to kill her; then it won't matter if she has a billion sleep arrows.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Okay first the Pixies as PCs entry does not list Special arrows as a SA

and secondly under speacial arrows it says
Pixies sometimes employ arrows that deal no damage but can erase memory or put a creature to sleep

Sometimes means that if you as DM don't want them then the pixie doesn't get them

EyeontheMountain

First Post
I wish I had a buck for every player in my online games who wanted to play a pixie.

Never allowed it and never would. It is just a silly thing to want to play, and just ripe for brokenness. My main complaint, other than the arrows, if their vulnerability. If the DM does not try to get them,they are very close to invincible, but one guy with see invisibility, and they are dead. And the player will bitch on and on about the DM picking on them.

I really don't like combinations that are basically "Mother, may I?"

I say ban them.

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Savage Species has pixie arrows in the magic items section of the book...so, if the player wants the arrows for his character, make him pay for them with precious gold pieces.

hong

WotC's bitch
crazypixie said:
Savage Species has pixie arrows in the magic items section of the book...so, if the player wants the arrows for his character, make him pay for them with precious gold pieces.
Bah. Who would trust a crazypixie on anything pixie-related? Do you think we're crazy?

Shut up, you lot.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
I allowed a pixie character one. It worked out alright, DR cold iron, flight and invisibility made him very tough but he died after getting blasted to hell by a caster, ironically every other PC in the party lived.

Didn't give him any of the arrows though, if he had asked or gone out of his way to make or get some I might've considered it.

isoChron

First Post
I had a pixie player in my group, once. It was a just for fun experiment with a pixie, a bronze dragon, a half-drow and a halfling.
The Pixie took levels in rogue (Sneak Attack anyone?) and later wizard. It rocked until it stayed to close to the visible characters: Fireball smoked the pixie.

I think it is very unbalanced to have a pixie as character that I would never allow it again.
Either the pixie rocks or dies instantly. No buffer in hitpoints. I never had a problem with the arrows, we used the pixie arrows like magic items created by the pixie: XP and GP cost !

Market Price Memory loss 607gp, sleep 107 gp (Savage Species).

By the way, we didn't use savage species pixie as base but the SRD LA and started at Level 5.

Remove ads