Level Up (A5E) [PJ] The Planestrider Ranger's Archetype Spells Make No Sense

i was looking at the planestrider ranger today and i noticed its archetype spells are extremely strange. the archetype is a third caster (like the wildborn), but other then at 3rd level when the archetype is picked up, it can't cast the archetype spells it gets at the levels it gets them at. in fact, it gets 5th level archetype spells, despite the fact that the planestrider never gets 5th level spell slots nor any other way to cast 5th level spells.

fixing most of this is easy enough - just bump when the archetype spells are received to the same level they get spell slots of that level - but what's up with the 5th level spells? should those also be castable using boundless travels (even though that'd mean you effectively get your 5th level spells before your 4th level spells), or is them even being there a mistake?

EDIT: also, not the planestrider (rather, the feyblooded sorcerer), but this is...a thing, and i have no idea how to describe it, so uh. here you go:

what.PNG

Last edited:

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
i was looking at the planestrider ranger today and i noticed its archetype spells are extremely strange. the archetype is a third caster (like the wildborn), but other then at 3rd level when the archetype is picked up, it can't cast the archetype spells it gets at the levels it gets them at. in fact, it gets 5th level archetype spells, despite the fact that the planestrider never gets 5th level spell slots nor any other way to cast 5th level spells.

fixing most of this is easy enough - just bump when the archetype spells are received to the same level they get spell slots of that level - but what's up with the 5th level spells? should those also be castable using boundless travels (even though that'd mean you effectively get your 5th level spells before your 4th level spells), or is them even being there a mistake?

EDIT: also, not the planestrider (rather, the feyblooded sorcerer), but this is...a thing, and i have no idea how to describe it, so uh. here you go:

View attachment 356296
Them being there is a mistake! Requesting fixes now. Thank you for pointing that out.

also yes, the Subtlety of the Courts bit is in queue as well. It should read "In addition, when you would be reduced to 0 hit points on an opponent's turn, you can make an unexpected interjection at the last second."

tabletopjess

Explorer
Staff member
hey folks! We're currently in the final proof reading stage of the Planestrider's Journal. We've shared the current draft with Kickstarter backers, some of whom kindly shared some errata updated with us (like in this thread). We're working through the current changes and will share an updated version of the Planestrider's Journal PDF in the next few weeks.
I'm currently working out a process for us to get better feedback for new books so it is
1. easy for folks to provide and
2. easy for me to collate and pass on to the design team to make changes

Once this process is sorted, I'll post here on EN World, Level Up facebook group, Kickstarter page and discord - so hopefully that covers most bases. Thanks for all your support and passion for Level Up A5E!

Remove ads