• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Plagiarised D&D art

Clint_L

Legend
I am aware of that case. But you can still plagiarize yourself; the finding in that case was that you can't plagiarize your own style. Had Fogerty actually, for example, used substantial lyrics or substantial sections of music from "Run through the Jungle," he would have lost. The jury found that he did not do so. Correctly, IMO.

The attorney's fees question that went to the Supreme Court was not on the plagiarism, it was on a point of law.

Last edited:

ECMO3

Hero
"I don't see the point of employing someone who spent 10+ years developing their skills with a particular task that computers can fake by copying the work produced by other humans with 10+ years of skill.

I wouldn't employ a horse and buggy or steam ship to take me from Miami to New York when I could fly or drive a car cheaper, quicker and safer.

They should just switch to a job with zero intersection with their current skill set, one they may not even be suited for at all. Sure, they'll just be unemployed and unemployable for a decade or more, who cares? Technology marches on, get with the program."

If their skill has little intrinsic value it will be hard to earn a living doing it. This has been true for artists in general for centuries, long before AI came on the scene.

Life is full of choices and following ones dreams or talents when it can not support one's lifestyle is such a choice. There is demand for all sorts of employment across the US and talented artists can certainly find gainful employment that would earn them a living wage. Heck, in today's market they could help train the AI machines that will ultimately replace them.

Last edited:

ECMO3

Hero
Well you see, 'artists' are you friends, your neighbors. They have potentially partners, children, families. They are in your community. They are spending money in your stores. They are contributing perhaps to your society, in real ways.

So are computer programmers, developers of AI algorythms and designers of computer hardware and processors. They are p[art of my community too.

Actually in MY community, there are far, far more of these than there are artists.

A computer, will never be a friend, be there for your kids sports team, or contribute in a meaningful way to the ongoing maintenance of the social fabric which most of us in the West, have benefited from.

Absolutely they will, they do every day. A computer is enabling us to converse on this forum right now.

It was communications enabled by computers that fueled virtually all the successful social justice campaigns over the last 10 years. Do you not think things like Black Lives Matter was meaningful to our social fabric? Because it would not have happened without computers.

My daughter has friends all over the world, including 4 of her best freinds that live in Morocco, Lebanon, Israel and Indonesia. It is computers that enable that.

Last edited:

Clint_L

Legend
Are you able to cite any US case law where one was successfully sued for plagiarizing one's self that was not overturned? I have been unable to find any instances of such.
The case you cited did not dispute that Fogerty could, in principle, have plagiarized his own work, but found that he did not do so. If you sell the rights to a work to someone else, you do not retain the right to still use and profit from it (barring specific exceptions in whatever contract you signed). You would be violating copyright, which is in effect what Fogerty was sued for. The jury basically found that you can't own copyright over someone's style, just over the specific works that you purchased, and that "The Old Man Down the Road" was not close enough to "Run through the Jungle" to be considered a copyright violation.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I wouldn't employ a horse and buggy or steam ship to take me from Miami to New York when I could fly or drive a car cheaper, quicker and safer.

If their skill has little intrinsic value it will be hard to earn a living doing it. This has been true for artists in general for centuries, long before AI came on the scene.

Life is full of choices and following ones dreams or talents when it can not support one's lifestyle is such a choice. There is demand for all sorts of employment across the US and talented artists can certainly find gainful employment that would earn them a living wage. Heck, in today's market they could help train the AI machines that will ultimately replace them.
This is a hot take that should be put in a box and set on fire.

ValamirCleaver

Ein Jäger aus Kurpfalz
The case you cited did not dispute that Fogerty could, in principle, have plagiarized his own work[...]
This does not directly address my question that you have quoted. It appears to me that your previous responses to my earlier posts in this thread have done similar things. I am not asking about things that potentially may happen based on your own personal opinion of US copyright law. I asked,
Are you able to cite any US case law where one was successfully sued for plagiarizing one's self that was not overturned?
I have been unable to find any instances of such.

Scribe

Legend
So are computer programmers, developers of AI algorythms and designers of computer hardware and processors. They are p[art of my community too.

I work in software, I have been a programmer. We do not need AI, like we need art.

Absolutely they will, they do every day. A computer is enabling us to converse on this forum right now.

In that regard, a computer is a medium, it is a letter. Now obviously it is far more, but it is not the computer that matters in the equation, at least until we are replaced with AI chat bots ourselves, it is the human on the other end that matters, and yes matters less in the ways I outlined than the human that lives beside you, or across the street.

Nobody on this forum, will matter more to my community, than the people who live in my community. The people who work, provide goods and services, and in doing so feed and develop the community. This is artificial. Its bytes stored on a network of servers.

If I look at the negatives of globalization and computers, social media, AI, the positives do not balance the scales at all.

I am interested in advancing our society and making it better. Rot is what happens when you leave dead skin and don't cut it off when it is dead.

True, I guess AI is closer to a mutating virus, or cancer. A cheap facsimile of a society and culture, that can only take what was done before, and spit it out after reconnecting the dots it was trained to.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Rot is what happens when you leave dead skin and don't cut it off when it is dead.

I am not saying artists are there yet, but I think they are on the way there.

Mod Note:
That is... a pretty disgusting insult. How about you tone down the rhetoric a few notches, hm? Thanks.[/clor]

dulsi

Explorer
This seems to pretty clearly be a trace. As someone who has been drawing my own versions of TSR images, I find the subject interesting. I don't trace and generally change some elements but sometimes do wonder if I'm not "transforming" enough to be original.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads