• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planar Cohort help

0bsolete

First Post
Last game session my level 16 rogue died (rip) and since our favored soul recently decided to reroll, I'm rolling a cleric. My character is a level 16 cleric of Pelor 11/Thaumaturgist 5. I'm basically planning him as a high member of church, specializing in the millitant aspects. The type who stands in the throne room tall, confident, and has a loyal outsider a step behind him as a show of his deities favor. Problem is, I am having major troubles with the actual creation of the Planar Cohort. I want a good or neutral aligned outsider but I really can't find one that makes sense and isn't terribly weak. That or I'm just not understanding the rules for it. So for this reason, I have come to you guys to request suggested planar cohorts because the LA/ECL/HD system is just giving me a headache.

Shin Okada

Explorer
LA/ECL/HD system is not that difficult.

HD + LA = ECL

HD = Character Level (and vice versa)

HD/Character Level = Racial HD + Class Levels

So, for example, A Hound Archon is

HD/CL (Racial HD 6) + LA (+5) = ECL 11

A Hound Archon/Paladin 3 is

HD/CL (Racial HD 6 + Class Level 3) + LA (+5) = ECL 14

Most celestials, especially angels, have very high racial HD and LA. And thus have very high ECL. So, maybe not so good as a cohort.

But you can always use something with Celestial template (LA +2) or Half-Celestial template (LA +4).

Protector in Miniatures Handbook may make a good cohort, too. It is "any good" outsider with racial HD of 2 and LA +3.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
The problem with the Planar Cohort ability is that it has two stipulations: the first is that the cohort cannot have more Hit Dice than the PC, which is easy to determine; the second is that it must have an ECL equal to the PC's ECL -2, which is hard to determine since most Outsiders and Elementals don't have Level Adjustment listings.

A quick glance through the MM makes it seem as though a base hound archon is your only real choice, since the few other Good-aligned Outsiders that have LAs are all otherwise too high. :erm:

0bsolete

First Post
Thats what it seemed like to me. I wasn't seeing much with an LA, and it seemed like almost everything that did immediately became very underpowered adding LA+HD, resulting in a cohort thats questionably useful other than for the occasional casting of a buffing spell or two or some backup healing, but other than that mostly a liability.

griff_goodbeard

First Post
The BoED has several suitable cohorts at ECL 14:

Asura: 8HD+6LA
Bariaur: 3HD+2LA
Coure Eladrin: 2HD+5LA
Equinal Guardinal: 6HD+7LA
Musteval Guardinal: 2HD+5LA

Runestar

First Post
Is an aasimar with class lvs a valid choice? Seems like a better choice compared to the other overcosted monster PC choices out there...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads