Planar Heroes; CALLING FERRIX (accepting alternates)

Pyrex

First Post
Tailspinner said:
That's because they are Celestial Dragon. Celestial adds a +2 to Level Adjustment.

Gotcha. Missed that part the first time. Where are the celestial dragons listed?

Nextly: I'm looking at the Hound Archon. If I were to advance him via outsider HD instead of class levels would a) the caster level for his SLA's increase and would b) his SR increase? (Caster Level = HD and SR of 10+HD)

Strictly by the RAW the answer to both is no; but it seems worth checking as the SRD doesn't go into great detail on the subject.

[Homer] Mmm... 10HD (Size Large!) Hound Archon... *drool* [/Homer]

Last edited:

Ferrix

Explorer
Celestial is the template in the MM. I would argue that it's really not worth the +2 LA, as LA gets more and more painful as you go up in levels, especially added on top of other already high LA templates/races.

The lycanthropes are particularly low-powered in choice since animal HD which make up about 75% of their hit-die increase are no where near the worth of a PC class.

Last edited:

Pyrex

First Post
Ah, ok. I was wondering if there was a difference between [Celestial Dragon] and [Celestial] + [Dragon].

Having seen a lycanthrope in action (a Weretiger Barbarian to be exact) I would contest your description of them as 'low powered'. :)

Edit: How should we determine HP?

Last edited:

Lobo Lurker

First Post
OOPS! HP = 1st 3 hit dice are at maximum. 50% of max for the rest.
Example: Odor-us the 6th level Barbarian (Con 10) has 54 hit points (12+12+12+6+6+6).

I too have seen a couple lycanthropes in action and both aquitted themselves quite nicely.

Ferrix

Explorer
Pyrex said:
Ah, ok. I was wondering if there was a difference between [Celestial Dragon] and [Celestial] + [Dragon].

Having seen a lycanthrope in action (a Weretiger Barbarian to be exact) I would contest your description of them as 'low powered'. :)

Edit: How should we determine HP?

Tack on additional +2 LA for their abilities and the meager bonuses of the celestial template and a straight barbarian of equivalent level will mop 'em.

Pyrex

First Post
If the barbarian has silver weapons and if he wins initiative, yes.

If not, charge->pounce->rake->improved grab->hosed barbarian.

silentspace

First Post
Here's what I'm thinking

Human arcanist

1 wizard 1
2 wizard 2
3 wizard 3
4 wizard 4
5 wizard 5
6 divine oracle 1
7 divine oracle 2
8 divine oracle 3
9 divine oracle 4
10 fatespinner 1
11 dragonslayer 1
12 spellsword 1
13 fatespinner 2
14 fatespinner 3
15 fatespinner 4

Things not on your approved list:
- Dragonslayer from Draconomicon
- Divine Oracle from Complete Arcane

Voadam

Legend
silentspace said:
Here's what I'm thinking

Human arcanist

1 wizard 1
2 wizard 2
3 wizard 3
4 wizard 4
5 wizard 5
6 divine oracle 1
7 divine oracle 2
8 divine oracle 3
9 divine oracle 4
10 fatespinner 1
11 dragonslayer 1
12 spellsword 1
13 fatespinner 2
14 fatespinner 3
15 fatespinner 4

Humans are not on the allowed list, everything is at least +4 LA from the looks of things.

Voadam

Legend
I'm now thinking celestial natural werelion (5HD+5LA), warshaper 4(CW), littorian 1(AU).

Large, pounce, and improved grab looks fun and the (w)holy lion aspects are a good hook to start from.

What are your rulings about armor, bracers, and other equipment shifting to accomodate new sizes and forms? Littorian is medium, hybrid is large but still humanoid, and lion is quadrupedal and large.

Lobo Lurker

First Post
silentspace said:
Here's what I'm thinking
<snip!>

Race: Human isn't on the the approved list either. ;) Care to take another stab? Are you sure Divine Oracle is in Complete Arcane? Sounds like it should be in Complete Divine (I don't have my books with me at the moment).

What's the gist of the Dragonslayer PrC?
What's the gist of the Divine Oracle PrC?

Remove ads