• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Planar Travel and Dream of the Blue Veil

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
First, let me clarify that this is a minor question of my own concerns, due to the way my cosmos works.

Nearly every "plane, realm, or world" is actually a planet, floating in space. The darkness in space where starlight doesn't reach is the "Void" (scientifically improbable, I know.)
The Astral and the Ethereal exist, with some modifications. Teleport only works on the "world" you are on. Plane Shift takes you to other worlds.

So James talks about this new spell from Tasha's.

DnD Beyond Dream of the Blue Veil

I like the thematics and am not opposed to the spell. But then he says this...

but the methods of travel between other worlds on the Material Plane aren’t so commonly known.

In raw terms, all the "worlds" are on the same plane, so teleport works fine to go from world to world. What is he saying? That it doesn't? Or that its rare and harder?

And Dreams is a 7th level spell, just like Plane Shift and Teleport.

BL: Is teleport meant not to work in the standard cosmos, or did he mispeak?
Should I perhaps lower the level to 6th? To use it in my setup alongside Plane Shift?

edit for typos

jgsugden

Legend
There are a lot of cosmology lore pieces to consider. However, read the sidebar on page 106 of Tasha's. It specifies that teleportation between worlds is possible, so this new spell is mostly useful if you do not have access to teleport for some reason, do not have the 'chevrons' of a teleportation circle on your destination world, or do not want to take the risk of missing your mark on a teleportation spell that does not rely upon a circle.

The most direct method is the Leap to Another Realm; a spellcaster casts teleportation circle or teleport, aiming to appear in a known teleportation circle or some other location in another world.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I thought that the implications of his statement (perhaps implying that you cant teleport from world to world) were a little more profound.

But nobody seems to be taken aback like I was initially, so no worries.

I think I will look into lowering the level ,and report back here any interesting ramifications I come across.

jgsugden

Legend
The way I look at it:

• A 5th level spell (Teleportation Circle) can take you between worlds if you acquire the chevrons to a teleportation circle on this other world. This can take a huge number of people over one round. For Bards, Sorcerers and Wizards.
  • A 6th level spell (Transport Via Plant) can get you between worlds if you can see a tree on this other world, which is usually not too hard with some scrying. You can take a huge number of people this way as well. This is a druid only option.
  • A 7th level spell (Teleportation) can also take you to your other worldly destination if you have the chevrons, and can be used without the chevrons if you're willing to take on some risk (or if you have an associated object). The spell is limited to 9 creatures. For Bards Sorcerers and Wizards.
  • A 7th level spell (Dream of the Blue Veil) can take you to your destination if you have a magic item or resident of that other location - but with very limited control of your destination. It is also much slower to accomplish, and is limited to 9 creatures. For Bards, Clerics, Sorcerers, Wizards and Warlocks.
  • A 7th level spell (Plane Shift) can be cast twice to get you and 8 allies there as well, with less risky results if you do not have detailed knowledge or an item. Available to Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer, Warlocks and Wizards.

If I'm a bard, sorcerer or wizard, I'm taking Teleportation Circle and learning to scry (or buy the chevron code).

If I'm a druid, I'll favor Transport via Plant after scrying.

If I'm a cleric or warlock, Plane Shift is likely my best option. A cleric may cast the clue veil on occasion, but a warlock has to select the more versatile plane shift before taking Blue Veil.

The way I look at it:

• A 5th level spell (Teleportation Circle) can take you between worlds if you acquire the chevrons to a teleportation circle on this other world. This can take a huge number of people over one round. For Bards, Sorcerers and Wizards.
  • A 6th level spell (Transport Via Plant) can get you between worlds if you can see a tree on this other world, which is usually not too hard with some scrying. You can take a huge number of people this way as well. This is a druid only option.
  • A 7th level spell (Teleportation) can also take you to your other worldly destination if you have the chevrons, and can be used without the chevrons if you're willing to take on some risk (or if you have an associated object). The spell is limited to 9 creatures. For Bards Sorcerers and Wizards.
  • A 7th level spell (Dream of the Blue Veil) can take you to your destination if you have a magic item or resident of that other location - but with very limited control of your destination. It is also much slower to accomplish, and is limited to 9 creatures. For Bards, Clerics, Sorcerers, Wizards and Warlocks.
  • A 7th level spell (Plane Shift) can be cast twice to get you and 8 allies there as well, with less risky results if you do not have detailed knowledge or an item. Available to Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer, Warlocks and Wizards.

If I'm a bard, sorcerer or wizard, I'm taking Teleportation Circle and learning to scry (or buy the chevron code).

If I'm a druid, I'll favor Transport via Plant after scrying.

If I'm a cleric or warlock, Plane Shift is likely my best option. A cleric may cast the clue veil on occasion, but a warlock has to select the more versatile plane shift before taking Blue Veil.

So basically this new spell is for Clerics and Warlocks that don’t know they can just cast plane shift twice. Since plane shift is a superior spell, this new spell sounds like its actual effect is to be a trap option for warlock players.

jgsugden

Legend
@jgsugden , you are going with the standard, worlds are on the same plane guideline, correct?
I am discussing it from that perspective.

My main campaign world has a different (simplified) cosmology, so it it is outside the Great Wheel Cosmology. While it has different planets on the Prime Material Plane, the vast majority of the Prime Material action takes place on one world. Teleportation has been used to go to other worlds (and the moon, etc...)

All of my other campaigns take place in a Great Wheel Cosmology with Crystal Spheres separating the worlds. In 5E terminology, all of those worlds are on the prime material plane. For the first few years of 5E, I required Plane Shift to travel between worlds, but since the Sage Advice in 2018, they were allowed to teleport.

I am running a 'backup' game with one of my regular groups right now in which they have control of a magical extradimensional house that can allow them to travel between planes and between worlds on the prime material plane - they have been to Exandria, the Forgotten Realms, the City of Brass ... and there will be travels to Krynn, Athas, Ravenloft, Oerth, Eberron, Middle Earth, (my) Gamma World, and a few other surprises before they reach the end of their quest to collect the parts of the Rod of 7 Parts and put it to use.

What was the Sage Advice?

I believe it was just Jeremy Crawford saying you can use teleport to get to other Material Plane worlds.

They way I run it myself is to treat crystal spheres as different layers of the Material Plane, so you'd need planar travel spells rather than teleporting spells to get between them. That still doesn't make this spell terribly useful, because plane shift is usually a better option (but I've got some alternative interpretations that can make this spell actually somewhat useful).

Remove ads