Plane Descriptions 1.8

ax0n

First Post
Hi Moonsword,

First of all, of course you can contribute material. :) We're always on the look out for new submissions and we gratefully accept all donations. The only possible problem with your contribution might be that it uses WotC copyrighted material. If you make sure all the text is original and I'm sure we'll be able to use it.

Your idea for a random plane generator is excellent. Something we totally forgot when putting the rules together. We'll get something added in that regard ASAP.

Please note, that these are just the rules for describing planes. I also have an essay on Plane Design which has more ideas and concepts in it (see attached).

Again, thanks for your feedback and your interest. Please keep your comments comming.

Nail

First Post
FWIW, ax0n, this stuff looks great! I've been poking around for awhile now, looking for what others have done with the MotP material. It's quite a surprise to stumble upon it over here.

I also liked the spirit magic article. I have it printing out right now. It seems similar to other d2o supplements I've seen, and my own (sophmoric) effort as well.

Good stuff! :)

Last edited:

Khorod

First Post
On behalf of ax0n and the rest of the team, thanks.

The planes description actually isn't based on MotP, it was made in parallel mostly before that was OGC.

If you use either in a game, please let us know how it went! We are really eager to hear anything that would help us refine anything and everything.

Telgian

First Post
The planes description actually isn't based on MotP, it was made in parallel mostly before that was OGC.
AFAIK, nothing from the MotP has been released as OGC yet. Or I've really been out to lunch. :)

Moonsword & Nail: Thanks. :)

Last edited:

Nail

First Post
Khorod said:
On behalf of ax0n and the rest of the team, thanks.

If you use either in a game, please let us know how it went! We are really eager to hear anything that would help us refine anything and everything.
I guess I hadn't thought about it, but "of course" MotP isn't OGC. It's quite distinctly "product identity". (sigh) I really liked the book....and I wish it was more customizable, as your system seems to be.

I'd be happy to tell you about if/how I use your stuff in a game...when I get a reliable game! Time and player availablity are both problems right now.

FWIW, I'm working on a cosmography that's pretty tightly tied to the PMP. That is, all of the elemental and ethereal planes are tied directly to the PMP. I'm even toying with new elements.

Have any of you played around with new elements before? I'm not really asking about quasi- or para-elements, like ice, ooze, smoke, dust, etc. I'm thinking about even more fundamental changes and divisions, mirroring some of what we understand in the RW. I'd like to stick fairly closely with the core rule set, as far as I'm able, with respect to damage descriptors and spell effects, and the like.....so I'm not trying to be way out in left field, as it were. Any problems or obstacles either of you have run into along this line of thought?

Nail

First Post
...and another thing......

Any chance you could make the rtf doc in a smaller font? I've done it already to my copy, to save ink/paper. Two columns, size8 pt?

Suggestions, suggestions.....

Telgian

First Post
FWIW, I'm working on a cosmography that's pretty tightly tied to the PMP. That is, all of the elemental and ethereal planes are tied directly to the PMP. I'm even toying with new elements.

Have any of you played around with new elements before? I'm not really asking about quasi- or para-elements, like ice, ooze, smoke, dust, etc. I'm thinking about even more fundamental changes and divisions, mirroring some of what we understand in the RW.

Have you been reading my mind again? :p

I have been working with a model of the elemental planes that has six elements, and have been taking a bit of the approach of how the interract with the PMP (or MP in 3e :p ). I haven't gotten much past getting the mechanics of the planes themselves worked out. My writing time of late has been limited.

As a result of that, I was planning on posting them here in the next day or so, in the event that someone else would want to use them, or expand on it.
As for a version that more accurately models the RW. In my case, not really.
If you have ideas though... :D
~~~~~~~~~~

Re: 8pt. I tend to do this myself when printing things off (same reasons: save ink and paper) I tend to edit on screen, so 10pt is better there, and is currently the standard font size that we use for raw files.

Telgian.
(Off to make a couple files presentable)

Last edited:

Nail

First Post
Telgian said:
If you have ideas though... :D
Heh.

Don't we all?....

I'm playing with the modern concept of Matter vs Energy. Presently, we offen divide matter into (at least) 3 "states", and energy into 3 "types". Like so:

• States of Matter:
  • Gas (or "air")
  • Liquid (or "water")
  • Solid (or "earth")
    and I'm liable to add one more:
  • Protomatter (or "ether", as in: ethereal)
  • Types of Energy
  • Enthalpy (as in: Heat or Cold)
  • Entropy (as in: order and disorder)
  • Electromagnetic (technically a energy field, rather than a state, but I think we can just simplify it down to Illumination or some such.)

This makes it sound complicated, but it's not really. The implications are that things like "fire" or "lightning" are not elements but are rather expresions of energy in matter.

For instance, Fire is actually just Air combined with Enthalpy: Heat. (This is actually true....mostly.) So their are no fire elementals per se, but rather air elementals imbued with heat energy.

...and so on.

The best part of this is that it removes "fake" elements from the world, still preserves the fantastic quality of the elements, and yet it's "almost" real.

...or at least, that's the target I'm aiming at. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Moonsword

First Post
Nail, nice concept, and quite innovative. Unfortunately, it doesn't work as well as it might otherwise, in a straight fantasy setting . This would be well suited to something like d20 Modern, where magic and technology are blended commonly, and part of man's arcane efforts would be based on 'mundane' science. It could still be incorporated into some fantasy settings, but the GM would have to be careful. Perhaps the elements, in addition to their purely physical qualities, have arcane associations as well. Both views could be both opposed and equally true, and that does happen occasionally in modern quantam mechanics. Again, very good idea, and a nice tack on something. I'm working on notes for incorporating material form the Netbook into Modern, and this is something I'll include, with your permission. Credit will be given to you for the idea, of course. I like the idea of new elements, too. In the end, and this something I've had to remind myself of once or twice, all this _is_ up to the DM in question. We just present ideas. And this is a good one.

Telgian, I agree with Nail on font size. 12 pt. is kind of annoying at times, especially for printing.

Last edited:

Khorod

First Post
Personally, I like a base of 10 or 12 pnt for reading on screen. I also use the cntrl-mousewheel trick to adjust size as necessary.

Its easy enough to hit cntrl-A and cntrl-shift-< a couple times...

Remove ads