• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Plane of Abeo, A Place For Retired Adventurers

Awakened

First Post
Game play has started!
Rogue's Gallery
Playing the Game
Plane of Abeo, A Place For Retired Adventurers (Game is starting, will consider late applicants/alternates)
Hello and welcome to a new, experimental D&D campaign set in my self-forged Demiplane of Abeo, a finite, enclosed plane that retired adventurers travel to when their adventures on the material plane are over. This campaign will be unique in many aspects, so if you’re looking for a new experience, I’d love to add you as a player. If you’re interested, take a look at the campaign specs below.

BASICS
[sblock]Setting: Demiplane of Abeo, an outer plane in the Forgotten Realms.
-Number of Players: Starting player max is 6.
-Focus: Roleplaying/Intrigue
-Posting: Daily or bi-daily posting would be fantastic. Less regular posters should specify their expected rates so as not to interfere with the flow of the game. I will ALWAYS attend the game thread AT LEAST once daily and try to address all player activity.
-Posting Special: Many posts will be done as spoiler text and be addressed to the characters that should read them. Players are expected to put actions not perceivable (or relevant) to everyone in spoiler text as well, and address who may read the portion. The reason for this is that players may freely explore the plane, form parties, or even go off on their own.
System: 3.X
Accepting: Please post an appropriate character with a background according to the tenants below. The process will be mostly on a first-come, first-serve basis, but characters that don’t fit may be denied until a particular change has been made.[/sblock]

CREATING A CHARACTER
[sblock]-Age Restriction: Character MUST be old or venerable. Remember, old characters will take -3 to STR, DEX, and CON, and a +2 to INT, WIS, and CHA, while venerable characters take a -6 to STR, DEX and CON and a +3 to INT, WIS, and CHA. Aging tables are in the PHB.
-You may choose to import an existing character you’ve created in the past and roleplay that character in his or her later life. Skip this section and look at “Importing a Character” if that’s the case.
-Abilites: 28 point buy for abilities.
-Level: Level must be between 5 and 12. I know this may seem strange, but this is a different sort of campaign where there can be a spread of levels without a balance problem.
-Equipment/Starting Gold: Gold as appropriate for level, see DMG. Remember, if you choose a lower level, it would be wise to save enough money to afford to stay on the plane (See Planar Traits and Rules), or craft a history that includes a benefactor that pays for your stay. Please peruse Planar Traits and Rules also to see how magic items are treated in Abeo. Please purchase no single item that would cost you more than a third of your gold.
-Experience: Set experience at the minimum for the level you choose.
-Setting: This is going to be a planar adventure, but the “material plane” is Faerun, the Forgotten Realms. Thus, for your character description, try to fit him or her into the Realms somewhere. If you’re unfamiliar with the Realms, your description can include any proper names, and I can work with you to fit it in.
-Race and Alignment Restrictions: No alignment restrictions, but please see “Planar Traits and Rules” to see how different builds will affect play. No particularly monstrous races, please. Getting stats for an angel out of Savage Species is okay, playing a Temporal Filcher may not be.
-Classes and PRCs: All classes in WOTC products are legal, save for Incarnum classes. Dragon Magazine classes and PRCs are also legal. If you make a psionic-based character, I will be obeying the Player’s Guide to Faerun and will be using the “Psionics as Magic” variant. If you want to play a class from a non-WOTC source, or are planning on using a strange variant (like Gestalt characters, a variant class, etc.) please get DM approval first.
-Other Questions: If you have any other questions, let me know and I will expand this section and answer them. Please see “Planar Traits and Rules” below before starting so you can see what you’re getting into.[/sblock]

IMPORTING AN EXISTING CHARACTER
[sblock]-You may want to import a character you’ve used in another game before. This will save you time and may be a really fun way to role play the future of a PC.
-Character must still be between levels 5 and 12, please.
-Please make sure character fits into the restrictions listed above for experience, race and alignment, and class. These are very malleable as you can see, so you should be able to find a character.
-If the character was made with some sort of high-ability generating method (such as above 28 point buy, 5d6 remove two lowest dice, etc.), accumulated an unusual amount of treasure in relation to level, or otherwise possesses a distinct advantage over characters of similar level may be taxed with a level adjustment penalty.
-Please let me know if anything unusual in terms of other DMs’ house rules or modifications changed the character. I can work with you to retain the spirit of the character.
-You may want to modify the character to reflect his or her aging.
-When giving a description or history, please relate the character to the Forgotten Realms. I can help you fit the character into Realmsian lore if you are unfamiliar with the setting.
-The PC may certainly be active in another game now. If he or she is, I’d love to take a look at the (ostensibly) younger PC in action, so if you want, go ahead and post the game thread the character is/was involved in![/sblock]

CHARACTER HISTORY/DESCRIPTION
[sblock]-Please enclose a brief physical description and history of your character. These will be required for your approval. Please give some details about the character’s adventuring past and his or her reason for retirement.[/sblock]

BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF ABEO
[sblock]-The plane of Abeo was created by the elven god of time and longevity, Labelas Enoreth, who worked in collaboration with the now-defunct god of time in the Faerunian Pantheon, Chronos. The two gods forged a pact that reconciled their opposing views on Law and Chaos. Labelas was allowed to construct the environment of the plane as long as Chronos could create the Dictates of Abeo, a set of laws which would stand for the first century before revision, and set Abeo as a lawful plane, and thus ensure a stagnant living condition.
-The plane was created as a peaceful realm where Faerunian people may go to retire. Due to the steep monthly costs and social scene, elder retired adventurers, nobles, and landowners are the most commonly encountered clientele. Upon visiting Abeo, you will learn of the power structure and history, and become part of a town of legends. Despite your retirement, you can rest assured their will be plenty of excitement, and chances to meet some of the most unique characters who ever walked on Faerun. Below or some basics on Abeo.
-CHARACTERS WHO BEGIN PLAY FOR THE FIRST TIME on Abeo will be given the Edicts of Abeo, a book of basic laws, as well as a map of the demiplane. ALL players will begin on the story thread that this is the first time their characters are arriving at Abeo. Basics are listed below.[/sblock]

PLANAR TRAITS AND RULES
[sblock] -Mildly Lawful Aligned. (Characters who are not lawful in alignment take a -2 penalty on Charisma-based skill checks)
-Normal gravity.
-Timeless. The effects of poison, wounding, and time-based losses still apply, but no flora or fauna age, no metal rusts, etc. More importantly, no characters in the area will get any older. The only exception is the warded area of the Loxo Caves, which has accelerated timing effects.
-Finite Shape. Abeo is a static disc that hovers in the astral plane with definite dimensions. It is the size of a small town, and functions as such.
-Positive-dominant plane. All characters gain the extraordinary ability of fast healing 2. Broken bones heal and bruises disappear when a PC is back up to full health. Lost limbs cannot be regenerated in this way. Due to the positive-dominant quality, all colors on the plane are more vibrant, art is more striking, the air is more crisp, and sensations are more vivid.
-Limited Magic. All spells that allow a target a saving throw without the "harmless" descriptor automatically fail. Targets may choose, as a free-action, to “resist spell.” Chosen spell becomes treated as impeded, forcing the caster to make spellcraft check DC 20+ spell level or lose the spell. There are areas in Abeo where magic is even more severely hampered, as well as a few places where it’s unimpeded or less impeded, such as the Sunset Temple, where all divine magic operates normally.
-Magic Item limitations. Similiarly, magic items that activate spells that require saving throws follow the above rules.
-The charge for one month’s stay at Abeo is three-hundred gold. You will be expected to pay this price upon entering, but there are ways to get free months, and even a couple ways to get year passes, as well as other methods of making money.
-Your character will undergo an alignment check, and will be asked different questions as to the purpose of his or her stay, proposed length of stay, and other such goals. You must sign the edict papers to be allowed to stay, and thus agree to obey by the law.
-Expect to be barraged with a variety of detection spells. You will have to account for magic items that seem suspicious for bringing to a plane that is supposed to be relaxing and peaceful.
-*UNDEAD, DEMONS, DAEMONS, DROW, DEVILS, CREATURES WITH AN EVIL SUBTYPE, EVIL DRAGONS, and similar creatures, as well as notorious and well known Faerunian villains will be denied entrance if detected.
-The guards may turn a character away on the issue of race, alignment, suspicion, or any other reason. Characters turned away may choose to appeal in the court of Abeo.
-Weapons, dangerous magical equipment, alchemical items, drugs, alcohol, and armor must be approved before entering. If you are denied use of the item, it will be placed in an item storage crate, or plane shifted back to Faerun (owner’s decision). Items that are disallowed may not be retrieved until the PC agrees to leave Abeo.
-Approved weapons, dangerous magical equipment, alchemical items, drugs, alcohol and armor can only be used and carried in certain areas. The guards will clearly tell entrants where these locations are and the restrictions on usage. Those who choose to defy these rules will be taken to the Abeo court, and will have their items confiscated temporarily or permanently, or utterly destroyed.
-The Edicts of Abeo will detail all town rules and penalties. Offenders WILL be taken to the court and punished in accordance with the Edict.[/sblock]

The idea of this game came to me as a joke on another thread at first, and I realized maybe it could be turned into something unique and fun.
If you need any other information, just let me know!
Please post questions and character stats below, can’t wait to see what you come up with, fellow Enworlders.

Last edited:

Awakened

First Post
Also, the game will launch after a suitable number of PCs have been created or imported, we'll go with 4-6 characters for now. Characters created after the game has begun will enter the plane as soon as they're approved!

Voda Vosa

First Post
That sounds interesting! I would like to submit a character, an old arcanist he will be, but Ill do it when I get home (in about 5 hours)

Darimaus

First Post
This seems like a very interesting premise. I would like to post a character. I am bouncing a few concepts around, but I did have a question for one of my ideas. You stated no incarnum classes would be allowed, but are the other parts of that book legal? I would like to play a cleric using the Azurin Racial Substition as well as some of the feats+soulmelds+spells, but if its incarnum in general you dislike I've got other concepts as well.

Last edited:

Awakened

First Post
Voda Vosa said:
You have just give me THE idea. :]

Ha! This is going to be interesting.

As far as the incarnum stuff goes, my only real objection to it is that I don't own the book and thus do not know enough to see whether or not such a force could or should exist in the Realms. I'd say, if you're inspired, go for it. Using feats and/or races from it is fine, but the force itself will need to be explained if you plan on wielding it.
I hope that helps?

hellrazor111

First Post
This sounds like it will be good, anyways...
I'll use a character from one of my other games named Cray
[sblock]
Breif history:
Born in the eastern land of Rashemen. Cray is a powerful Ranger, but his temper is short in the face of evil, and most notably his mental faculties are somewhat questionable due to his having sustained one too many blows to the head in the course of his adventures. After the death of his best friend and animal companion, Puck, Cray decided to retire from the hero life styleand with the sizable ammount of gold he's collected, decided to go to Abeo to live peacefully(as he can)
[/sblock]

after some sleep, i will post stats

Last edited:

Awakened

First Post
That's great, Hellrazor!
Cray the Fighter it is.

Also, I've changed the way I'm going to handle this game, somewhat. I'm going to cap the player amount at 6 for now. If it's feasible to add more, I may do so, but definitely not immediately. I think it would be better to concentrate on a select group and see how everyone interacts to start with.

Finally, I altered the verbage in the game description to read many posts will be done as spoiler text and be addressed to the characters that should read them. Players are expected to put actions not perceivable (or relevant) to everyone in spoiler text as well.

I'm guessing pbp players are old hat to all of that, but I figured I'd say it anyways.

Last edited:

Darimaus

First Post
Ok, for the sake of simplicity, I'm not going with Magic of Incarnum at all. Instead I'm going to go for a Chameleon from Races of Destiny. The only problem I have is I don't know that much about Faerun, so I may need some help fitting the character into the setting and picking a Diety for the cleric level I've got for him. Also, the character concept is easily playable at any level from 6-12, so whats your preference for PC levels?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads