Plane Shift: Kaladesh - More MAGIC THE GATHERING For Your D&D Game!

WotC has just posted another "Plane Shift" document, detailing a world from Magic: the Gathering as a D&D setting. The 33-page PDF contains new races, monsters and more. "If the optimism, innovation, and spirit of creativity pervading the world of Kaladesh kindled your drive for adventure, we have what you're looking for. If The Art of Magic: The Gathering—Kaladesh made you long to experience the aether-swept landscapes and brilliant inventions of Magic's latest plane for yourself, these pages have what you need. Like a renegade inventor tinkering in a secluded workshop, author James Wyatt has crafted a set of rules to bring your Dungeons & Dragonsadventures to life on Kaladesh, including new races, new monsters, and a distinctly aether-flavored take on crafting the marvelous and ingenious magic items that define this plane."

WotC has just posted another "Plane Shift" document, detailing a world from Magic: the Gathering as a D&D setting. The 33-page PDF contains new races, monsters and more. "If the optimism, innovation, and spirit of creativity pervading the world of Kaladesh kindled your drive for adventure, we have what you're looking for. If The Art of Magic: The Gathering—Kaladesh made you long to experience the aether-swept landscapes and brilliant inventions of Magic's latest plane for yourself, these pages have what you need. Like a renegade inventor tinkering in a secluded workshop, author James Wyatt has crafted a set of rules to bring your Dungeons & Dragonsadventures to life on Kaladesh, including new races, new monsters, and a distinctly aether-flavored take on crafting the marvelous and ingenious magic items that define this plane."

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 16.03.28.png
SaveSave

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I think plenty of hooks are provided in the form of the treatment of Arcane magic users, unlicensed aethership operators "pirates", etc, and the looming threat of external forces, ie, demons.

I mean, the current Magic story in Kaladesh is called Aether Revolt.

also, not all settings need to have a lot of baked in conflict. In Trek, the Federation is literally a Utopia, but people still have conflicts, there are still the occasional rogue government agent who's gone too far, and there is, of course, exploration.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I think plenty of hooks are provided in the form of the treatment of Arcane magic users, unlicensed aethership operators "pirates", etc, and the looming threat of external forces, ie, demons.

I mean, the current Magic story in Kaladesh is called Aether Revolt.

also, not all settings need to have a lot of baked in conflict. In Trek, the Federation is literally a Utopia, but people still have conflicts, there are still the occasional rogue government agent who's gone too far, and there is, of course, exploration.

True, but as for exploration the Zendikar plane seemed much more inviting - lands & ruins galore there. In fact that's where I plan to run TotYP.

jedijon

Explorer
Now it's getting hot!

Okay, Aethership operator. Let's start there. :) 'Cuz - Firefly.

Motivation, profits. This means we won't be saving the day, unless we absolutely HAVE to have a guy being cheeky about it (Han Solo).

Now, I'm grouping the whole party together here folks. So, the Firefly story informs me that a mix of adventures that push a story and those that build a world is a great mix!

Choose some:
Heist (typically morally ambiguous unless re-theiving)
Errand
Business rivals (to you...or two 3rd parties)
Creature on the loose
Something lost

And there could be so many more without invoking "the authorities", or "an ancient secret", or "actually just kidding the world is ending".

Kinda a whole diff' tangent, but when they're talking idyllic utopia, I'm thinking that seems sappy because of my underlying ideals. Like a utopia is some Laura Ingles Wilder thing--but one where Pa doesn't even need to worry about predators in his barn in the big woods. At the least this is about poorly perceiving a world. Excusable in a fantasy world for which I lack the background, no? :) BUT, switch to a much less boring meta and you can have a world where a 15th century Turkish food stall vendor could be your campaign--guy is working to get good ingredients, more cheaply than his competitors, is funding his nephew's fighting kite, having trouble getting good string, gets a good tip from royalty passing buy, helps a poor beggar to be rehabilitated, weathers a long drought in his city, teaches his children to read, trains pigeons to poop on his neighbor's house, eventually acquires a camel, travels across a beautiful desert to visit his ailing father and then POIGNANCY! The End.

Remove ads

Remove ads