• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Plane Shift

reveal

Adventurer
Can a person cast Plane Shift from the Material Plane to another plane and then, from that plane, cast Plane Shift again to get back to the Material Plane?

Basically, instead of teleporting from Point A to Point B, both in the Material Plane, a person casts Plane Shift from Point A, goes to Point C on another plane and then, from Point C, casts Plane Shift to go to Point B.

reveal

Adventurer
Crothian said:
Well, it seems to allow you to get back to the prime material but you'll still be 5-500 miles off the mark.

We thought that at first, but the spell specifies:

"From the Material Plane, you can reach any other plane, though you appear 5 to 500 miles (5d%) from your intended destination."

So if you go from Point C, on another plane, to Point B on the Material Plane you wouldn't be off the mark. Right?

shilsen

Adventurer
reveal said:
We thought that at first, but the spell specifies:

"From the Material Plane, you can reach any other plane, though you appear 5 to 500 miles (5d%) from your intended destination."

So if you go from Point C, on another plane, to Point B on the Material Plane you wouldn't be off the mark. Right?
I think that's simply a result of the designers writing the spell with the assumption that it would be primarily used to travel from the Material Plane to another. I'd suggest that you not read too much into the word.

On the other hand, since this is the Rules Forum, reading too much into a word might be the perfect thing to do ;)

My understanding of the spell has always been that when returning to a plane from which you previously plane-shifted, you return to the spot from wence you departed.

werk

First Post
Right, you are planeshifting twice, the error chance is still there...and would require two different, very specialized focii. You wouldn't have to shift to an outer plane, for instance, you could shift from krynn to toril and back to krynn, which might be more predictable.
You move yourself or some other creature to another plane of existence (Planes) or alternate dimension (Prime Materials)
I added the parenthetical references.

The spell's wording is very bad though...like many spells.

Remove ads