• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planecape recommended viewing

derverdammte

Explorer
You know, I was reading some of the cosmology stuff on Monte's site this morning, and it occurred to me that most of Planescape could be adapted to an "infinite worlds"-style cosmology if you just see sigil as a sort of trans-dimensional city that appears on many if not all planes, sort of like tanelorn in the eternal champion books.

/slight derail

Shemeska

Adventurer
Any movie ever directed by David Fincher. Especially Alien 3 and Fight Club. Just the feel and claustrophobia in the first one (all about the english slang and the brown filters on the camera), and the sheer oddness and Tyler Durden'ness of the second movie. Seriously now, Tyler Durden was the epitome of the Doomguard. "Nothing is static, everything is evolving, everything is falling apart."

And fluffy is good, can't wait for the book Monte. :)

BiggusGeekus said:
You know, I have one simple request, and that is to have alligators with frickin' rabies! Now, evidently, my expidiously retreating colleague informs me that that can't be done. Can you remind me what I pay you people for? Honestly, throw me a bone here!

The sharks are on loan to Number 1. ;)

Feathercircle

First Post
BiggusGeekus said:
Anyone who doesn't like anything at all about the game can be fed to rabid alligators and everyone else can start the campaign.

In my unbiased opinion.

.....I, ah.. didn't like the graphics at some points.... Sometimes, especially in the Hive, it got hard for me to see what was going on. Does that warrant an alligator-feeding, or just some lesser punishment, like being forced to listen to Guvner lectures for hours on end?

Hmm.... On the theme of idea-politics, the anime Kino's Journey kind of put me in a philosophical and Planescape-ish mood, as does the last few episodes of Evangelion (note, NOT the End of Eva movie... I did'nt particularly care for that....)... though those could just be me making weird associations. I mean, how many people watch the Leliel episode of Eva and get reminded of the Lady of Pain? Or slaadi and Majin Buu?

Some of Neil Gaiman's stuff is good too, and I could easily see some of his people or locations (the World's End Inn, for example) cameoing in Sigil.

Khayman

First Post
Monte At Home said:
City of Lost Children has a nice kind of Planescape-y feel to it.

I was thinking the same thing. The Cyclopes have a decidely faction-ish or sect-ish feel to them.

That, and the weird octopus lady...

Khayman

First Post
BiggusGeekus said:
You know, I have one simple request, and that is to have alligators with frickin' rabies! Now, evidently, my expidiously retreating colleague informs me that that can't be done. Can you remind me what I pay you people for? Honestly, throw me a bone here!

Sadly, reptiles can't carry rabies. Maybe the players could contract a bad case of salmonella from handling a dire turtle.

Ryltar

First Post
Alien 3 and 7even, as Shemmy already mentioned.
The Fifth Element.
Blade Runner.

As for a good read with a really planescapey feel, go and pick up China Mieville's "The Scar" and "Perdido Street St.". That should set your mind ablaze :).

jester47

First Post
Everything I would have listed is listed here. But I would also add Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, and Snatch to these for the slang, and the cause and effect relationships.

Aaron.

Arken

Explorer
The Matrix of course (and to a much lesser and poorer extent Equilibrium) give a good feel for 'reality as symbol' and as influenced by thought and belief that I think is quite appropriate for a Planescape game, plus it has many ideas about how philosophy can be turned into a reason to beat people up.

Michael Tree

First Post
The Cell, for disturbing imagery and extra-planar locations.

Spirited Away for the feel of an alien city with strange rules of its own.

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead for existential philosophy and witty repartee.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads