• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planescape Planescape: Fantasy Taken to the Edge (5e conversion)

Samloyal23

Adventurer
I have not.

A lot happened since I shared this in 2014? 2015? Had a few years break from roleplaying due to friends having children, personal challenges, grad school, and so forth. Got back into it again in 2018 playing in a friend's Pathfinder game, then ran 5e Tomb of Annihilation, a few one-shots, and then COVID happened. We just started a new campaign online which is more Egyptian fantasy. So I haven't returned to Planescape in a while, even though I think of the setting very fondly.

You're welcome Vini! Hope it serves you well. And welcome to ENWorld :)

That "Chris Perkins" document is great btw. No idea who the original author is, nor if it's the Chris Perkins closely associated with D&D or not. My friend found it somewhere online years back. I think I may have linked to it in my OP or one of my followup replies too.

The detailed Renown-Faction system was implemented by Adventurer's League after I'd shared my rough ideas for translating Planescape to 5e. So the author must have drawn on the AL Renown-Faction document as inspiration.

Both are equally valid ways to approach the factions. Use whichever you like best!

Another approach worth checking out is Jacob Driscoll's: Faction Backgrounds - Jacob's Personal Wiki He treats the factions as backgrounds, but then he also adds a 3-tier Renown model reflecting the old namer/factotum/factor breakdown of Planescape faction ranks, doling out advancing abilities as you rise through the ranks. I think his approach strikes a nice balance and is very well designed.

I can see Namers for different factions being backgrounds, but Factotums? That needs to be a class, no?

Remove ads