• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planescape Planescape IS D&D Says Jeremy Crawford

Front & center In 2024 core rulebooks.

Planescape is Jeremy Crawford's favourite D&D setting. "It is D&D", he says, as he talks about how in the 2024 core rulebook updates Planescape will be more up front and center as "the setting of settings".

teitan

Legend
Ahh. Now I understand the issue. If you go back, I said DnD is sparse. I did not specify edition.

If you want to go planar but you don’t want to use Planescape lore in DnD there is virtually zero support. It’s been DIY for about thirty years or so.

5e was not the subject of my post. And additionally I’ll point out that 5e isn’t actually sparse for setting support. All the previous edition material is meant to be used in your 5e games. It’s very much not the DIY edition. There is virtually zero support for home brewing. A couple of pages in a ten year old book and silence since then is …. Wait for it… sparse.
It's the ultimate DIY edition. It has more dedicated to home brewing than 1e did. The DMG is all about homebrewing and does an excellent job at it and I say this as a guy who has, as weird as it sound, played since before his wife was born but she's 34 and I'm 47 so quit being weird about it. :p

Disagree... The different D&D worlds have always been treated as being connected and able to be traversed. Wasn't there a series of Dragon articles where Mordenkainen (Greyhawk), Elminster (Forgotten Realms) and Raistlin (Dragonlance) would meet up on our earth and have a sit down where they talked and traded items? I've never read the actual articles but I've seen discussions of them.
Yes they were written by Ed Greenwood and notorious for how out of character Mordenkainen and Dalamar (not Raistlin) were as well as getting basic facts about their home settings wrong.

Hussar

Legend
It's the ultimate DIY edition. It has more dedicated to home brewing than 1e did. The DMG is all about homebrewing and does an excellent job at it and I say this as a guy who has, as weird as it sound, played since before his wife was born but she's 34 and I'm 47 so quit being weird about it. :p
Yeah, that would be a lot more impressive if there weren't at least a dozen other folks who've been playing as long in this thread alone.

As far as "dedicated to home brewing" goes, how so? Where are the Environmental books of 3e? The bajillion books for 2e? Heck, even the Survival Guide in 1e and the years of Dragon articles detailing home brewing stuff?

teitan

Legend
Yeah, that would be a lot more impressive if there weren't at least a dozen other folks who've been playing as long in this thread alone.

As far as "dedicated to home brewing" goes, how so? Where are the Environmental books of 3e? The bajillion books for 2e? Heck, even the Survival Guide in 1e and the years of Dragon articles detailing home brewing stuff?
The environmental books of 3e were hardly needed or even useful for homebrewing. Nor were the survival guides.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
The environmental books of 3e were hardly needed or even useful for homebrewing. Nor were the survival guides.
Well sure. Almost by definition you don't need external sources to homebrew. They can be helpful though.

My take is that 5e is great at encouraging homebrewing, but less good at supporting it. Plenty (most?) of 5e material is written with the assumption that DMs will steal bits and pieces of it to use for their own campaigns. And, in my opinion, the 5e DMG does a better job of supporting homebrew campaigns than any previous DMG. But since the DMG, we haven't seen as much material specifically supporting homebrew campaigns, at least compared to previous editions.

Hussar

Legend
Well sure. Almost by definition you don't need external sources to homebrew. They can be helpful though.

My take is that 5e is great at encouraging homebrewing, but less good at supporting it. Plenty (most?) of 5e material is written with the assumption that DMs will steal bits and pieces of it to use for their own campaigns. And, in my opinion, the 5e DMG does a better job of supporting homebrew campaigns than any previous DMG. But since the DMG, we haven't seen as much material specifically supporting homebrew campaigns, at least compared to previous editions.

Thank you for saying this better than I did.

Hussar

Legend

Thank you for saying this better than I did.

Imaro

Legend
Yes they were written by Ed Greenwood and notorious for how out of character Mordenkainen and Dalamar (not Raistlin) were as well as getting basic facts about their home settings wrong.

Yep, you ae correct, it was Dalamar as opposed to Raistlin... which makes more sense. However in looking into these articles it appears the conversations were based on the novels and adventures featuring them... so I'm curious to know what facts were incorrect.

All that said it still serves as an example that the concept of a multiverse with numerous material planes (including FR, Greyhawk, Krynn, etc.) is not a new concept for D&D.

Hussar

Legend
Yep, you ae correct, it was Dalamar as opposed to Raistlin... which makes more sense. However in looking into these articles it appears the conversations were based on the novels and adventures featuring them... so I'm curious to know what facts were incorrect.

All that said it still serves as an example that the concept of a multiverse with numerous material planes (including FR, Greyhawk, Krynn, etc.) is not a new concept for D&D.

I mean sure I might not like Planescape but even I knew DnD was meant to take place in a multiverse setting.

Andre Norton’s Quag Keep came out in 1978. Might not have been the greatest novel but it was a DnD novel set in a multiverse.

Remove ads

Remove ads