• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planescape Metaplot?

Ambrus

Explorer
I'm not certain which Planescape Metaplot you're referring to; there were several plots that ran through the series. The rise and return of Orcus (as Tenebrous) begins with the Great Modron March and is concluded in Dead Gods. Uncaged, Faces of Sigil detailed several plot threads, such as the celestials of the upper planes working behind the scenes to supply weapons for the Blood War in an attempt to keep it going. That plot thread was expanded greatly in Hellbound: The Blood War. Many many adventures and supplements, such as the Factol's Manifesto, detail the faction cold war in Sigil. In turn the conflict comes to a head in the Faction War adventure. In short there's no single Planescape metaplot and, in essence, most supplements and adventures build upon each other. Don't know if that answers your question though. :\

I think the rise of Orcus is the Planescape metaplot. Nothing else really comes close either in terms of impact to the setting (and other settings by implication), fan awareness and popularity, or in any other way.

I thought there was another product that touched on it a bit too, but yeah--The Great Modron March and Dead Gods are the two that most specifically cover the Orcus/Tenebrous metaplot.

It's also noted that one of the events from Dead Gods with Orcus returning started the catalyst for Faction War, as Orcus' actions caused a certain gem to be found.

eric mcloins

First Post
I've always considered the faction war metaplot much more important to the setting.

That being said, my favorite planescape products, other than the boxed sets are dead gods, tales from the infinite staircase, uncaged, and faction war.

Ry

Explorer
While I agree that the Orcus plot is the main big plot of the published adventures, I've always thought of the blood war as the big metaplot. Not in a "let's go fight the blood war" kind of way, but in a "we see the chess match, and we try to mess with the board, or prolong the game, but damn do we have to be careful, because we're playing with fiends"

Remove ads