• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Planescape's Factions

Infernal Teddy

Explorer
I'm going to be running a Planescape campaign soon, using Pathfinder, and one of the things I'm wondering about right now is how to implement the various factions as outlined in the original Campaign Setting. I don't want to do them as prestige classes as has been done in the past, but I'd like to give membership in a faction some kind of mechanical advantage. Has anyone done something like this before, and if yes, what did you do and how did it work? Did you do feats, talents, or something else completely?

gribble

Explorer
I haven't done them, but I imagine traits would be the right mechanism in Pathfinder. Perhaps you could do two paired traits (basic/advanced membership) and one drawback for each faction. That way players have a choice of one trait (basic membership), two traits (more advanced membership but give up the ability to take another trait), or two traits and a drawback (which allows them to take a second trait as usual).

Edit: to say traits, not talents...

Last edited:

mr_outsidevoice

First Post
Traits and Archetypes as a short answer. Create 4-5 traits in different categories for each faction, plus one or two Archetypes for classes that are most common in each Faction.

Also, if you have Inner Sea Gods, the Feats and prestige classes Evangelist, Exalted, and Sentinels could be a good guideline.
Combine with the membership rules gribble is referring to, you could do a fair job.

Ezequielramone

Explorer
Look at factions Guide. they have golarion's factions... but you can find there a Simple mechanic to be member of a faction. maybe it can help you.

Remove ads