• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planning my campaign (renamed from "Need a 1st level adventure")

Reaper Steve

Explorer
I know there was a similar thread recently, but I failed at trying to find it. I recognize my limitations and humbly beseech your aid!

My regular Encounters players have been asking me to run a campaign, and I'm finally ready to oblige them. I just need some help getting started...

I've decided that I will use the DM Kit's Reavers of Harkenwold for levels 2 and 3. Once at level 4, I will probably run Village of Hommlet (RPGA reward) and then Orcs of Stonefang Pass at 5th. Then I'll need something to cover levels 6-8 until I can run RPGA Tomb Of Horrors at 9th. Then I'll have to decide between Revenge of the Giants of Tombs of Horror (as the 4E hardback should have been named.)

But first things first...
I need a 1st level adventure to get this party started.
Options I'm entertaining:
The Slaying Stone (but at 13 encounters long it will take at least 5 sessions, probably 4, and get characters halfway to 3rd level)
Coppernight Hold (from Dungeon Delve)/Coppernight's Salvation (from Dungeon) (6 encounters... could be 2nd level after 1 long session (!), but I'd have to change out a couple monsters in the latter--not a fan of [sblock]ants [/sblock]. I'd probably also tack on The Hammer Falls (Dungeon) for a complete arc in only 9 encounters, hopefully 2 sessions.)

Options ruled out:
Keep on the Shadowfell (no clean break to start Reavers)
Twisting Halls (Red Box) (already ran it once, running it again soon for my son & friends, not the same feel as Reavers and Hommlet.)

Any other suggestions?
Maybe something urban/sewers?

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:

Reaper Steve

Explorer
Thanks for the list!
Yes, I've been wanting to run Dead by Dawn. I even thought of trying to squeeze it in this campaign. If anything, I may dial it up to 5th level and zombie smash them after Hommlet!

Hmmm... I may try to make it one marathon event about 8 encounters long with no opportunity for an extended rest... survive the night and gain a level! (Of course, I'd have to be very careful with the design as the characters will not be performing up to par after blowing their dailies. But that is also what will make it Legend-ary!

Reaper Steve

Explorer
Amusing that I reply to my own posts, I know!

I think I may be on to something with:
Coppernight Hold
Coppernight's Salvation
The Hammer Falls
Reavers of Harkenwold

Here's what I'm thinking:
[sblock] This would actually set up a nice base of dealing with devils for the campaign. Duergar & the Imp, then the Iron Circle with Tar Devils & Spined Devils. I could even continue after Reavers with the Duergar Hold from Thunderspire Labyrinth. That would even introduce the orcs, which would segeway to Stonefang Pass. Would have to bump up Hommlet to happen at 6th level, but what a great excuse to have Lareth the Beautiful be a Cleric of Asmodeus and set up the next devil arc! [/sblock]

And regarding the monsters I don't like in Coppernight's Salvation:
[sblock] I'll replace the ants with Stormclaw scorpions. I think that would pair nice with Duergar, and more importantly, give me an excuse to use my new Lords of Madness figs! [/sblock]

Any contributions are welcome!

Daern

Explorer
Sounds great. I love stringing together modules for potential campaign arcs!
Its off topic, but I'd love to hear about the Reavers of Harkenwold. My mod collecting instincts are drawing me to the DM Box!

filthgrinder

First Post
I'd still suggest The Slaying Stone, it's a great adventure. It's set up to be real sand-box style in how they choose to explore the city and where they decide to go, it's real easy to cut out a lot of the encounters. That is actually why I think it works nicely, especially if you are coming from an Encounters group.

With Encounters, because of the very nature of the program, you definitely have the rails on, especially last season. I just started up a game with my Encounters group, and I'm really eager to open the game up for them to really feel out the game world and explore.

I'm actually about to use The Slaying Stone. I've completely re-skinned it, upped it a level, and set it in Dark Sun, but actually fits in really well.

Pseudopsyche

First Post
In your position, I would go with Slaying Stone, which seems such a richer first experience than the other options on the table. So what if your players end up half a level ahead in XP? In the worst case, the party will have a slightly easier time for a bit. Even then, you could always add monsters or levels to certain encounters. In the best case, this XP buffer will give you the freedom to cut encounters you don't like from later adventures. It could even allow you to continue with your planned path even if a player drops out.

The Slaying Stone. Search your heart, you know it to be true.

nicholasgeorg

First Post
I can't recommend The Slaying Stone enough. It's super fun, way open ended, and will introduce the orcs that they'll meet down the line. It's probably my favorite published module.

Remove ads