• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planning our Vacation to Disneyworld - any advice?

Pbartender

First Post
I'm figuring on a budget of somewhere between $5000.00 to $7000.00 total for the packet. But I've just watched the DVD haven't really priced any packages yet. If it costs more then it'll cost more. I'm just guessing at this point. So I've still got a lot of stuff to investigate and decide. But much of your advice has been very, very helpful.

Just for comparison... Our vacation was 3 years ago. Our package was 7 days and 6 nights from August 10th until August 17th (the least expensive
time of year, then). Included 6 nights at the Port Orleans Riverside resort and meal plans for four adults*. If I remember rightly, the total cost of the vacation was on the lower edge of your budget range -- and that's including airline fare from Chicago to Orlando.

*Our kids were 10 & 8 years old at the time and could have qualified for the kids version of the meal plan, and saved us a little money, but... The kids meal menus are very restrictive, and our kids are used to eating "exotic" foods. They would not have been terribly excited about going to a mid-east restaurant and only being able to choose from pizza, mac & cheese, or a hot dog. We elected to spend the extra for the adult meal plans for them, so they could eat "real food".

BriarMonkey

First Post
One quick thing I noticed when I looked at vacations in past years going to Disney World over Christmas is that room rates can almost double for that holiday time frame. And in speaking with others (travel boards, etc.), Christmas is incredibly busy and crowded at Disney. But, it is also spectacularly decorated and the ambiance is remarkable.

Apparently, Halloween isn't as crowded, but there are still special events, like Mickey's Not-so-scary Halloween Party. I don't know if the place is decorated up like for Christmas, but the room rates aren't nearly as spendy.

Oh, and as a point of comparison, and because I didn't mention this figure specifically in my blog, for our trip in April (a moderate resort [Port Orleans - French Quarter] and 10-day park-hopper tickets [no water parks] with the dining plan) we paid about 4400$. Of course, air fare and all the others bits were seperate (as noted).

RainOfSteel

Explorer
If you really want to maximize your budget, consider staying here:

Anaheim Disneyland Resort Hotel | Fairfield Inn Disneyland Hotel

This hotel is located across the street from the entrance to the park, literally.

I picked some random weekend dates to try to make a reservation, 06 Oct 2011 to 09 October 1011, and it came back offering a room for $126.00 per night.

I tried to book a reservation for the same date range at the Disney's Grand Californian Hotel® & Spa, inside Disney's California Adventure® Park, and it reported a total cost of $1,772.00.

If you're going to Disneyland and will hit the park hard, as opposed to lounging in the hotel, I think the Fairfield Inn is a bargain and its proximity to the entrance makes it take only a little more time to get into the park.

Pbartender

First Post
If you really want to maximize your budget, consider staying here:

Anaheim Disneyland Resort Hotel | Fairfield Inn Disneyland Hotel

This hotel is located across the street from the entrance to the park, literally.

I picked some random weekend dates to try to make a reservation, 06 Oct 2011 to 09 October 1011, and it came back offering a room for $126.00 per night.

I tried to book a reservation for the same date range at the Disney's Grand Californian Hotel® & Spa, inside Disney's California Adventure® Park, and it reported a total cost of $1,772.00.

If you're going to Disneyland and will hit the park hard, as opposed to lounging in the hotel, I think the Fairfield Inn is a bargain and its proximity to the entrance makes it take only a little more time to get into the park.

Note though, that Disneyland =/= Disney World. Anaheim, California is a long way away from Orlando, Florida. ;)

Bullgrit

Adventurer
As I mentioned above, the wife and I will be going to WDW in a little over a week. I just checked the crowd levels for our days, and I'm just getting more excited.

The crowd levels are rated 1-10 (10 being the most crowded), for each individual park:

We'll be in the Magic Kingdom for our the first day. The crowd should be 2.4
Then Epcot at 1.5
Then MK again at 1.1
Then Hollywood Studios at 4.2 (What is it about HS?)
And finally, Animal Kingdom on our last day at 2.1

When I look at the crowd level charts for the most popular times of the year and see levels at 7-10, I... I just can't imagine what it's like.

Bullgrit

How old are your kids? It makes a big difference. Why didn't anyone else ask? Personally, Disney has a low bang for your buck if the kids are under age 7. (Having said that my 5 year old has been there 3 times. So what do I know.) We've been there so often because I'm in the Disney Vacation Club. So we have a time share that include all the resorts. Find it on the web for a real pitch. :)

Some points others made that we spot on: Stay at an on-site resort (Port Orleans is lovely. Avoid the "All-Star" resorts, they are cheap and you get what you pay for), get the meal plan, one park per day, fast pass is great if you know where you want to go and when you might get there.

If you plan to go to animal kingdom, go very early (7am) and rush to Kilimanjaro Safari (Straight ahead making a gentle left at the big tree into Africa) as the animals are most active in the early morning. Animal Kingdom closes earlier than most of the parks and is a good "last day" park and a good "go to Downtown Disney" afterwards park.

If you get the Meal Plan, go to the Wolfgang Puck Express on the east side of Downtown Disney. The Meal Plan works there and you can get a $20-25 per person meal for the same "price" as a burger and fries in one of the parks. (On the west side of Downtown Disney, there is an actual Wolfgang Puck restaurant. It is a $40-50 a plate sit down restaurant not on the meal plan. Don't mix them up. :))

EPCOT is divided into two parts the front and the world showcase. To FULLY see them both takes two days. BUT... if your kids are too young/can't stand/etc science (the front) or travel (the showcase) either half (or both) can be skipped. The rides at EPCOT are mostly "lame" as it is a park about "people living together".

Like EPCOT, going to conservation station in Animal Kingdom is only worth it if your kids are into animal care/conservation.

Magic Kingdom has parades at 2:30 and 7:30? (it's mentioned on the map). When they occur crossing the parade route is difficult. Plan accordingly.

Fantasmic at Hollywood Studios is cool, but has an additional expense. If you eat lunch/dinner at certain restaurants in the park, you get tickets. But these are not preferential seats.

Ask your front desk clerk about the Hoop-Dee-Doo Review. It is usually sold out months in advance but it is a cool dinner theater show. It's a live show with 6 singer/performers and an orchestra consisting of a ragtime piano player and a banjo player. Some audience participation is involves as well. It takes place at the Wilderness Lodge in the Fort Wilderness campgrounds. Getting there is half the fun. :)

Bring BATTERIES for your camera. I can't stress that enough.

Bullgrit, even when the parks are "packed" you don't notice it walking among the attractions. You notice it waiting on lines for the attractions. When they say "2 hour wait", they mean it. Fast Pass on those kinds of days is turned off by mid afternoon because once they give out the 8:30 time window, there are none left.

Janx

Hero
As I mentioned above, the wife and I will be going to WDW in a little over a week. I just checked the crowd levels for our days, and I'm just getting more excited.

The crowd levels are rated 1-10 (10 being the most crowded), for each individual park:

We'll be in the Magic Kingdom for our the first day. The crowd should be 2.4
Then Epcot at 1.5
Then MK again at 1.1
Then Hollywood Studios at 4.2 (What is it about HS?)
And finally, Animal Kingdom on our last day at 2.1

When I look at the crowd level charts for the most popular times of the year and see levels at 7-10, I... I just can't imagine what it's like.

Bullgrit

Since I know you like Basic Instructions, try to find Scott. He works there. Somewhere on his site, he mentions how to find him.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads