• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Plant Shape for Druids?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I'm adding the plant creature type to druids to go along with beast type for wild shapes.

An additional benefit is: If you remain in plant shape for a short rest, you benefit from a half ration of food and water gained from nutrients in the ground. The DM can rule you cannot benefit from this feature if the terrain is unsuitable.

I've looked at the plant creatures and don't see any problems, myself. Any thoughts or issues with this?

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
I'm adding the plant creature type to druids to go along with beast type for wild shapes.

An additional benefit is: If you remain in plant shape for a short rest, you benefit from a half ration of food and water gained from nutrients in the ground. The DM can rule you cannot benefit from this feature if the terrain is unsuitable.

I've looked at the plant creatures and don't see any problems, myself. Any thoughts or issues with this?
It makes sense for a Druid to take the shape of a plant.

Conceptually, I tend to think of Plant as a kind of element, like water and earth.

Then I relate Beast as an aspect of Humanoid, in the sense that a human has the body of an animal, as well as animalistic instincts.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
At first I was going to make it a later aspect of wild shape, something around 10-12th level, following the pattern of wild shape use in the PHB, but then when I looked at the plant types, there are so few and nothing too crazy in power I thought maybe just include them from the beginning.

I know someone once posted about translating the new Beast Master companion options in Tasha's into a Druid wild shape system, and it would be interesting if an elemental aspect could also be incorporated later on (maybe in tiers 3 and 4).

Stormonu

Legend
I miss the old Tree Shape spell.

The only plant I can think of being troublesome is the Treant, with its ability to animate trees (free cohorts/summoning).

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
The only plant I can think of being troublesome is the Treant, with its ability to animate trees (free cohorts/summoning).
Treants are CR 9, so not even a Moon Druid could plant (wild) shape into one. You would need to be level 27, and let's face it, at that point what would it matter LOL! ;)

I would make it a subclass, rather than a general class feature.

Also, its a power boost. There are some seriously strong plant monsters in the game.

The big one is Myconid Sovereign, at CR 2, with 3/day animate dead on up to large humanoids/beasts that lasts multiple weeks in duration. At will incapacitation spores too.

You could probably abuse Gas Spores, particularly with the druid's interaction with dropping to 0HP. Granted, low level druid shapeshifting as a whole is sort of busted with the onion druid thing and all.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
The big one is Myconid Sovereign, at CR 2, with 3/day animate dead on up to large humanoids/beasts that lasts multiple weeks in duration. At will incapacitation spores too.

You could probably abuse Gas Spores, particularly with the druid's interaction with dropping to 0HP. Granted, low level druid shapeshifting as a whole is sort of busted with the onion druid thing and all.
I suppose that might be an issue, but CR 2 RAW isn't allowed (I allow it at level 12 for our homebrew, and CR 3 at 16th level) unless you are a Moon Druid, which when it comes to wild shaping is already a bit OP.

I could see it as an interesting role-play, though... :unsure: Might make a good adversary.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads