• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Play-by-email strategy games

Riverwalker

First Post
Hi all,

My firends are currently scattered all over the world (New Zealand, Australia, US, UK) but we still want to play a strategy game together.

What we are looking for is a turn based computer game that allows you to send turns via email. Don't want a moderated game or an on-line one with 20 other players - just a way for us to play a game with each other at our own pace.

Ideally it'd be WWII, but also keen on ancient or medieval.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Drengy

Explorer
wargaming.net has two play-by-email-like games available. Massive Assault Network and DBA Online. I've only played Massive Assault, and it's pretty fun.

Both have free demos available.

Maerdwyn

First Post
Try The Diplomatic Pouch. It got automated judges for PBEM Diplomacy games of all flavors, if that game is appealing.

The old Advanced Civilization pc game also has PBEM, but getting hold of copies for your friends may be difficult.

Last edited:

Gorok

Explorer
We had a group playing and sending turns back & forth for "Warlords 3", when it came out. I believe the current incarnation, "Warlords 4", also allows turns to be saved and sent as data files.

Warlords 3 was quite fun, by the way. We had some good fights going back & forth. I haven't tried Warlords 4 yet.

Lefferts

First Post
Gorok said:
We had a group playing and sending turns back & forth for "Warlords 3", when it came out. I believe the current incarnation, "Warlords 4", also allows turns to be saved and sent as data files.

Warlords 3 was quite fun, by the way. We had some good fights going back & forth. I haven't tried Warlords 4 yet.

I'm not sure if Warlords 4 supports email, but it is not nearly as good as Warlords 3 was. There are some balance issues that can occur after you play for along time (ie. virtually unkillable units).

3 was great though. Wonder if it will work on XP?

Lefferts

Last edited:

Riverwalker

First Post
Great thank you. I'll check these out. Personally I am more than happy to play a fantasy based game, but a couple of the others will only play historical stuff.

Remove ads