• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Play by mail (Don't laugh, it's only a little funny.)

TenSlashSix

First Post
When I was in English class in college we had a project to write a living story by physical correspondence. It was an enormous amount of fun and I want to try out the project again. The basic gist of the idea is one person creates a first chapter/page of the story and sends it via basic ground mail to the other. There are not really restrictions on how the story can be changed/advanced/altered. The only rule is that the primary character or creation of the other person cannot be destroyed in the process of writing the next section. The reappearance can be delayed or ignored but there has to be links to the previous piece even minor ones. Preferably to make the postage and time worthwhile the chapters or passages written should be at least one page long but normally no longer than three pages.

The pages written do not have to be hand written I actually like that myself but don't utilize it because my handwriting is terrible. Thus I print my pages and send them in a legible but slightly more than average font for fun. For convenience anyone who cares to engage in the living story project I will be more than happy to pay for the basic postage and include stamps in the letters I send so that there is no expense for participation.

If anyone is interested please send me a message and I will give you my email address if you have any further questions or wonder just how the process can be fun. I would like to add that there are no standards to be upheld so even if you don't believe you can write or have trouble writing lengthy texts don't be discouraged. Even if it sounds like something you would like discuss further (it can be exhilarating to receive that next piece of the story in the mail) drop me a line.

Just for those curious or discouraged by the thought of -- USPS mail does not have to have your real name on it you can always use a pen name which is quite common practice for writers in any case.

P.S. I enjoy writing across many genres so no matter what you tend towards the most or if you only enjoy writing inside one area don't hesitate to contact me.

Dice4Hire

First Post
Kudos for trying something interesting like this. I am not much of a writer, so I won't be taking you up on it, but i hope you gets some good people.

TenSlashSix

First Post
Its a matter of pride, unusual format, and a removal of the informal electronic mail. Writing even if done on a computer and printed then sent through the mail adds to me an air of formality and anticipation that I do not get from email. It could just be a personal affectation but I enjoy the process as much as the actual writing itself. If you find you would like to try it feel free to message me.

Nick Phoenix

Explorer
RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE POST!

Play by mail! Here is why I am attempting it. I wish have some fun mediating play between my children and my brother's children. I would venture to say almost everyone likes getting mail that isn't an advertisement or bill.
They are young and I would like them to experience correspondence before they embrace the electronic age. The plan is to first give a short scenario of being transported to a fantastic place. I then give them a description of action using a fill in the blank story. Embedded in the story, they meet their cousins in disguise. They pass them a secret message. Then they get to pick some names and descriptions of things they come across. This is there first RPG so I next ask them three multiple choice questions, with the last one to be fill in the blank, in case they are feeling creative. Continuing I will have them make several die rolls to keep on hand for actions they may take in the future, then they have to pick some words, Mad-libs style to be used later, and finally they are given a decoding cipher to decode the secret message given to them. I include a self addressed, stamped envelope to send back their sheets. Then we will make up the next part of the adventure and send it back. I want to continue using fill in the blanks, secret messages, ciphers, puzzles, multiple choice and Mad-Libs. I already have the idea of changing them to be useful for other children my kids know, and may put them all up on a website.

So, my questions are. Have you done anything like this before? Are there any resources for:
1 - cool secret ciphers or secret message generators available on the net?
2 - Are there any sites with mad-lib generators?
3 - Any suggestions for play by mail interactions that que rolls and actions?
4 - Basically any resources on this really really old school idea I have?

I can post an example of some of the raw material if you like.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads