• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Play - By - Post

What # of players do you prefer in a PBP game?

• 1 - 2 Players

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • 3 - 4 Players

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • 5 - 6 Players

Votes: 26 61.9%
  • 7 -8 Players

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • More then 8 Players

Votes: 1 2.4%

Jenale

First Post
Also running a couple of PbP games myself, and I have eight players in both of the games, and am playing in other games with 3-7 other players (not counting DM).

Couple of sites that are designed for on-line play:

PlayByWeb

RolePlay OnLine

Typically, what happens is that some people are carrying the story more than others, but the larger group allows the game to keep moving even if someone is away for a few days (or more), or one of the players drops and a replacement hasn't been found.

In most of the games I've been in, there's usually an ideal posting rate (4-7x a week being common), but when combat comes around, a window of 24-48hrs for posting an action.

Balgus

First Post
If you are the Dm, then having about 5 would keep you busy posting. Any less, and there is a time between people's post where some players are just waiting for another player to do something. Any more- and they tend to act before they really know what is going on...

Someone

Adventurer
I´m running one PBP right now here with only three players and it flows very quickly.

However, it´s sometimes a good idea to start with more players and let time filter those that cannot keep the pace, don´t like the game, or whatever reason they have.

Decado

First Post
I voted for 5-6 players. That is a pretty good number although my PBP campaign always has more then that. At one time I had 13 players!

Decado

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
(wonders to himself if King Stannis knows that KnowTheToe is impersonating him...)

hmm, i prefer 5-6. i've played that way before, and it can be pretty fun - if the DM keeps the interest up. the last one i was in lasted over 2 years, but the last 6-9 months of that was an average of 2-3 posts per month... :p

I voted 5-6, but mainly for 6. Just enough so that if one or two people forget the post, the battle won't be completely one sided and just the perfect size to handle IMO.

DM_Matt

First Post
A dm should let in 7-8 at the beginning with the intent to stabilize the group at 5-6. There will almost always be some near-immediate attrition.

There can be later attrition, too. Recently, the games here have started rerecruiting to get their numbers back up. It actually started when someone asked what games in progress had openings, and people realized that it was a good idea.

Remove ads