• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Play dress up

What is your experience with getting into character through clothing change

• Never done it

Votes: 220 73.3%
  • Know a few people that have done it

Votes: 48 16.0%
  • A few people at the table have done it through the years

Votes: 19 6.3%
  • Do it all the time (your not suppose to?)

Votes: 13 4.3%

hong

WotC's bitch
Inconsequenti-AL said:
Seriously dressing up for a pen and paper RPG is not something I'd enjoy. If some of the other players wanted to, then I'd most probably deal with it... even if I felt a bit awkward. If the group expected me to dress up, then I'd likely find a new game!

By 'seriously dressing up', I'm not talking about a random prop or silly hat!
Same here. Sequins are just SO not me.

Hong "now spandex, that's just fabulous" Ooi

Henry

Autoexreginated
If "dressing up for gaming" also includes me putting on a gaming-themed T-shirt (like one of my dragon-themed shirts, or a dragons & dice shirt, or one of my ENWorld shirts) and going to the game, then I do it, too. :) I almost ALWAYS put on something gaming-themed when I game.

Otherwise, I've never dressed up (as in, say, Robes, or funny hat) and gone to the game. So one way, my answer's always, and another way, my answer's "never."

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
hong said:
Same here. Sequins are just SO not me.

Hong "now spandex, that's just fabulous" Ooi

Spandex - I couldn't classify that as dressing up. Formalware is probably the term I'd use? Smart casual if it's brightly coloured.

diaglo said:
there's nothing silly about a hat. i wear my hat of d02 on my sleeve for all to see.

How do you attatch such a hat to your sleeve? Glue, staples or magic would be my guesses?

I wouldn't really call it a silly hat. Either old or sensible depending on viewpoint, I guess. :D

android

First Post
I've done this on many occasions with my gaming group. It's certainly not weird and the positive effect it has on the session is noticeable. Instead of looking across the table and seeing your buddy in his work clothes, you see him in a robe or whatever he's wearing and it makes it much easier to imagine that he isn't just your buddy sitting there. He appears more like his character so it's easier to be in character with that person. And, the same goes in reverse for the people in the game with you.

I suggest everyone try it out. Just like when you first started role playing and you were shy or embarassed about it, it only takes a little getting used to. Overcome the prejudice and I think you'll find that you like it.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Seen dressing in charecter a couple of times, many years back (if I remember sheets turned into robes and a tartan outfit, respectivley). They seemed to enjoy it...though in the second case the session was "crashed" by non-gamers and the man in the sheet-tartan got a little embaressed, and never did it again.

gideonn

First Post
all dressed up?

Many years ago, after being the DM for too long, I got someone else to agree to run an adventure. I was playing a 'mysterious' PC whose alignment and class(es) were kept secret. To enhance this image I had a black hat, a black cloth to serve as a cloak, and even a cudgel at the ready. Had them all on and near my chair so when the game began I could don them.

I was not in the room when some of the others arrived. Upon my return one of them had taken the 'liberty' of putting on my garb. The laid back air of secrecy I had been going for was kind of ruined by all my screaming to get my stuff back! Never bothered to try it again.

Dread October

First Post
I don't do it mostly because it's just too much trouble. That and it crosses a line for me that I'd rather leave un crossed. It's cool if other folks do it...well I guess depending on who they are and whether they want to hide in my garage after the game is over. That ain't right.

I have a kid in the game I run for high schoolers who tends to wear a half cape & utility belt. I don't think she's getting into character. I think she wears that stuff to school too from what I hear. So far she's the best player in the group so I may pass utility belts out at Xmas.

I did have a great idea involving sock puppets once where a player who'd turned invisible and should not be spoken to would have to wear a sock puppet. The players in that particular group, some of whom are here quite a bit didn't take it too well. I chalked that up to me not being persuasive enough.

In a Vile Darkness campaign I play a guy who too the Illithidken PrC and he's going through htis human to Illithid transformation. I tend to now play with my jacket over my head so people remember that I am now all shadowy and creepy-er.

That's the extent of it.

Dread October

hong

WotC's bitch
fusangite said:
Sorry but... people who do that sort of thing give our hobby bad worse name.
I agree. Using a jacket/trenchcoat without the matching katana is SO gauche.

Hong "or a lightsaber" Ooi

MonkeyDragon

Explorer
We've had dress up stuff a few times, mostly at the behest of our dm. At our Halloween game this year, we got bonus eeps for coming in costume. Bonus bonus eeps for dressing as our characters. Only myself and one other did that. There's another person in the group who was playing a seshayen (from d20 modern. it's one of our allowed player races for this dms game) and we thought it'd be awsome if he dressed up. We thought some blue face paint, fake wings, and a few extra pairs of googly eyes would be extra cool. He thought it was beneath his dignity.

When our gaming session fell on Talk Like a Pirate day, I wore my pirate costume to the game.

The dm has a fabulous broad brimmed pink leaopard print at, known as the pimp hat, that comes out for props occasionally. It's best remembered use is when the dm was a player in my game, playing a faen sprite, and the hat was his hat of disguise.

Best of all though was when we were playing a short mutants and masterminds adventure that tied in with our D&D plot. The dm took one of tose nylon book covers and put it on his head with a domino mask. It fits just like a superhero costume, and the corners stick up to make little ears. Priceless.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads