• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Play Report] DMing for Middle/High Schoolers

riotshieldnation

First Post
You know I really wish someone like you were around for my childhood, and this thread makes me want to run a group at the local ymca myself. Is there any special hook you used in getting them to let you run it? I'm thinking of up-playing the math and acting skills part to the activities director.

I'm also interested in hearing how your group went (assuming you started this Sunday).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'll just say this: even if you can't convince the YMCA to let you run it, there are lots of places in your community that may- libraries, rec centers and so forth. So if you strike out, keep swinging!

Rechan

Adventurer
Sorry for the lateness of the play report. I played Sunday.

So 3 kids who signed up showed, and 1 just walked up, asked what we were doing, and decided to play.

I started the game with a very simple set of open-ended questions. "So there was a bar-fight last night. Who started it?" Two players raised their hands. I asked the other two, "What were you guys doing?" and they replied, "We watched." I asked the ones who started the fight, "So, who were you fighting?" And then asked the watchers, "So who won?"

It turns out that one PC fought with a random half-elf, and the other joined in to back him up. So I declared that because they got into a bar fight, and lost, they were given "guard duty". Which constituted standing out in the middle of the fields all night, watching the sheep, because something had been stealing them.

Enter the falling cow.

Both characters were asleep or daydreaming at the time of impact, so when they were asked "What happened?" one of the players declared, "A wizard did it! I Saw him floating this cow and bam!"

First the PCs bought some random stuff (daggers, for instance), and went and got alcohol (since one PC was hung over and needed some hair of the dog). Then the set out for the church.

When they reached the abandoned church, they split up. Two went through the front door, one went through a window, one went through a back door. When a PC fell through the floor and into a nest of giant beetles, the rogue who snuck through the window spent two rounds playing with a set-piece, rather than rush to help.

They opened every crate, cabinet, door, etc. I ran out of random junk descriptions for the crates contents; I'll have to correct this problem for the next adventure.

The big hit of the adventure was the random-effects generated by the holy water font filled with spilled potions and alchemical substances. After nearly everyone took a drink (one PC choked up a frog (that one player subsequently killed), another turned pink, a third shed light like a glow worm), the PCs scrounged for any sort of bottle they could use to take the stuff with them. They tried to sell them, but I said "When one of your customers experiences bright blue diarrhea, no one else is willing to buy your crazy juice".

When they encountered the dragon, they were very cautious. The dragon in turn was cautions, protective of its (tiny) hoard and didn't know how powerful these adventurers were, being quite young and cautious.. They talked to the dragon, and asked it nicely to stop eating animals. The dragon said "Pay me and I'll leave this place." So the players agreed to pay the dragon 100 gold for it to leave the area, and the dragon gave them two days to make the payment. (After they made the deal, they debated about attacking the dragon, with 2 for and 2 against). It was very entertaining when one player confronted the dragon with how skittish and cautious the dragon was being. "Are you weak? Why're you afraid of us?" Which almost started a fight.

The PCs left, tried to sell the crazyjuice, and then the player who got in the fight with the unnamed half-elf said, "I hunt down that half-elf guy and beat him up." He specified he pulled one of the guy's teeth out, and was about to kill him before another player stopped him. At that point, I had teh guy run away.

They had a lot of fun, but the session only lasted 2 hours, to which I felt bad about, as they were trying to weedle more play out of me. But I had anticipated they would fight the dragon, which would have been a solid 45 minutes. I assured that this next session would be much longer.

The adventure for this Sunday will involve the remnants of a wizard's lab that was sealed in a cavein, the wizard who starved to death is now an undead, and the craziness inside his lab. I've already dropped strong hints about this wizard (some of the stuff in the abandoned church belonged to him, as it was a renovated wizard's tower he "lost in a gambling bet"). Also that half-elf that the PCs beat up will return with some help, and ambush the PCs on their way back from this adventure.

Some general observations:
One player asked, "Does 4e have alignments?" "Yep." "Then I'm Neutral Evil!" This was the rogue PC, who was the most active of all, and who hunted down that half-elf.
One player (the newbie who just walked in) was pretty keen on stabbing anything and everything.
When I described the hexblade as "a guy who uses magic and stabs people in the face", I got two people interested in playing the hexblade, but no one used anything beyond a simple melee attack.
No surprise, videogames were these kids' biggest reference material. WHen I described Dragonborn, one said "oh, so like Argonians (from Skyrim)." Another named his character after a videogame character from a game I'd never heard of.

Last edited:

Rechan

Adventurer
Sounds awesome...wait, "hair of the dog"? How old are these kids?
That was me saying that - one was hung-over and decided he needed MORE alcohol the next day.

The age range was 13 14 14 15 or thereabouts.

@riotshieldnation I had the fortune of someone having already done this a year ago, so the coordinator was already familiar with the premise and enthusiastic about it.

Last edited:

Rechan

Adventurer
Yesterday's game was wacky. First I found out that one of the kids who signed up (one of them who wrote me that letter) just can't play Sundays, due to no ride. Sad. So I only have 3 players, which is annoying.

The session started with a distraught miner showing up with the tale that something ate his mule! He needed help, there was something in his mine! He was crying and otherwise annoying to the players, but they agreed to help. This led to a dwarven wizard's lab that had been caved in, and broken into via the miner's excavation.

Inside, the PCs once again split up and went in different directions. They battled an ooze that spawned minions as they hit it, and an undead dwarf with an empty hollow where his stomach should be, which drew them towards it like a black hole. After they had battled the various horrors, the PCs entered the wizard's library. That's where this conversation transpired:

Me: On a desk, there are several papers sitting on top of an ornate box about the size of a shoebox.
Rogue: I grab the box!
Me: The papers fall on the floor.
Rogue: I try to open the box!
Me: It's locked. By the way, you see this symbol on one of the papers, it is the same symbol you came across in the last adventure.
Rogue: I try to pick the lock!
Me: You get a slight magical jolt when you try.
Fighter: I use the key I found on the wizard, and unlock the box.
Me: You open it, and there's a brief flash of bright, white light. Then the box is empty. On the inside you notice that there are various symbols drawn all over, designed to contain something, like, trap something inside.
Rogue: Ok I read the pieces of paper.
Me: The papers are a last will and testament, along with an explanation that the wizard who lived here was trapped by a cave in, and slowly starved. He says that his last act was to craft the box and stick his soul inside, please open it outside so that his soul has a better chance of escaping (as opposed to being trapped in his body, as he fears becoming an undead when he starves to death).
The group: ... Maybe we shouldn't have done that.

As they exited the mine, they were attacked by The Half-Elf that had been beaten up last session, along with some thugs he hired. What ensued was a difficult battle with this result:

Early in the fight, one of the mercenaries surrendered when he was reduced to 2 HP. At the end of the fight, the half-elf was at 4 HP. The Fighter PC asked to just break the half-elf's leg, and with some off-the-cuff rolling, I said sure. Then the Rogue decides to just knock the half-elf unconscious.

Rogue: I just leave the half-elf alive, and walk over to the surrendered mercenary guy and kill him.
Fighter: What! Why would you do that? You're killing the guy who surrendered, but sparing the guy who hired these guys to come after us?
Rogue: Sure! He'll wake up and tell everyone we kicked his ass. Our legend will grow!
Fighter: And hire more guys to come after us!
Rogue: And we'll kill them too!
Fighter: I... I just kill the half-elf, so he doesn't come after us again.

Little sociopaths. :p

They then paid off the dragon, and it flew off, but they had recovered some definite riches. They had also recovered a half-burned map, which I will provide more details to next time (I had actually drew a map on a brown paper bag and then set it on fire).

The session only lasted two hours again. I need to prep a whole lot more, just to fill the time. I am apparently a terrible gauge on how long things will take at the table. This week I am going to help them make their characters, starting at level 2!

It's also become clear that I am going to have to run a DMPC healer.

Sidenote: Last session I had brought cardboard tokens I had printed out, but the tokens were too big for my map. This time, I just brought marble stones for monsters, and for the players, I brought little rabbit figurines and a few other random bits for minis. The little bunnies were a big hit - it really amused them to have pastel bunny minis running around killing things. :D

Last edited:

Flatus Maximus

First Post
Maybe a wandering monster table to help fill some time? Fill it with cool sounding stuff, and rotate things in and out to keep it fresh.

If you want a few more players, why not ask the kids to each bring a friend or two (if they want).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads