D&D 5E Player angry about enemies climbing rope with Rope Trick

If Predators can't escape with their meal it's probably because they would never have been dumb enough try for it given the odds

Have the predator follow the party and wait until they are separated for some reason before they attack. Or have them attack the archer pinging away at the back in the middle of another fight.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
It could be worse, you could be blasted for referring to a "sociological event that affected D&D in the 80's" by referring to a mythological evil entity.

jasper

Rotten DM
Yeah, so, the character didn't get the Ring under my watch, but they had it from some adventure or another (this being an AL game). At the time, I was told that since the spell was previously cast, then activating would require nothing more than a standard action. I was dubious about this, because the ring states you "cast" the spell. I had a thread about this on these forums (gobbled up apparently) for clarification. Since then, I have heard people say that the Ring does not change the casting time of the spell.

Not sure if this is the case or not, but it would be a good ruling with regards to Ritual spells.
This ring stores spells cast into it, holding them until the attuned wearer uses them. The ring can store up to 5 levels worth of spells at a time. When found, it contains 1d6 − 1 levels of stored spells chosen by the GM.

Any creature can cast a spell of 1st through 5th level into the ring by touching the ring as the spell is cast. The spell has no effect, other than to be stored in the ring. If the ring can't hold the spell, the spell is expended without effect. The level of the slot used to cast the spell determines how much space it uses.

While wearing this ring, you can cast any spell stored in it. The spell uses the slot level, spell save DC, spell attack bonus, and spellcasting ability of the original caster, but is otherwise treated as if you cast the spell. The spell cast from the ring is no longer stored in it, freeing up space.

James Gasik

Supporter
Yes but the questions then become does "as if you cast the spell" do the following, for example:

1) require the original casting time.

2) trigger class features that you have that affect the spell other than spell save DC, spell attack bonus, and spellcasting ability, such as the benefit to healing spells granted to Life Domain Clerics, since you are stated to cast the spell.

jasper

Rotten DM
Yes but the questions then become does "as if you cast the spell" do the following, for example:

1) require the original casting time.

2) trigger class features that you have that affect the spell other than spell save DC, spell attack bonus, and spellcasting ability, such as the benefit to healing spells granted to Life Domain Clerics, since you are stated to cast the spell.
1. Look up the spell casting time.
2. if the player did not log the addition information then treat it as generic caster of x for spell y.

James Gasik

Supporter
Ok, that explains 1 succinctly enough (though there is some contention on this point- I've encountered people in the wild who claim that since the Ring doesn't specify what action is used to cast the spell, it's a standard action).

As for 2, I need a little extra clarification about how Disciple of Life would work here.

Attachments

• LifeDomain.jpg
    LifeDomain.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 47

Remove ads