• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Player Character-Nation Building - Do you do it / allow it?

Altalazar

First Post
I was curious how many campaigns have dealt with the concept of nation building done by the PCs.

I'm talking about where new castles and even towns and cities are founded and ruled by PCs, presumably after they have achieved some level of power and wealth.

They could be taking over existing areas or they could be carving new realms out of the wilderness. The wilderness method was what was described in the original (1st Edition) AD&D books - that initially caught my imagination - clearing out an area of monsters, then laying the foundation for a stronghold and attracting followers. I remember rolling them up for various PCs back in the 1E days. That was always fun. Especially for fighters, who got a lot of them.

There also seems to be two different ways this could come about - either the DM builds the campaign around activities involved with nation building, or the players decide to do it on their own and the DM accomodates it, perhaps building some adventures along the way.

I ended up going the latter path, building a large castle after clearing out an area in the rough mountains, and founding a city. Eventually I had three significant cities and many small settlements in the realm, along with many castles, as the followers and cohorts (so-to-speak) of the original characters also got castles of their own. I ended up building, in-game, an entire new nation, with trade, taxes, and towns. Other PCs ended up settling in the main city and it led to other adventures later on. Since I designed the castle and wrote it up, there even was an attack against the castle (by certain theives) which was "DMd" by someone else, using the plans (I wasn't involved - except to react to things as I was "alerted" to what was going on). That was fun and interesting.

So I wonder, how much has this aspect of character development happened in your games? Have you built entire nations? Was it DM or Player motivated? Have you gone on to adventure in those newly settled lands?

As I asked in another thread about starting at the "dawn" of "advanced (i.e. D&D standard) magic and technology - I ask here - where you have done nation building, at what point in time was it? The dawn of the world? Or just some new space carved out of the wilderness in an otherwise old (typical) world? Have you done it in established settings, like FR, or does this really only lend itself to home-brew, where there is less likelihood of a "conflict" with what is published?

Personally, while I can have plenty of fun with various characters totally uninterested in such things, I have really enjoyed nation building like that. DMing and creating a world can satisfy those urges, but there one has total control - and there is something satisfying about having to "earn" it by building a nation through playing a character in someone else's world.

Last edited:

MarauderX

Explorer
I am putting together some things in which the PCs will eventually become leaders/rulers of parts of the campaign world if they have a good reputation. I like the ideas of it, and it lends itself to many more adventures with keeping their territory safe from harm than the same ol' dungeon crawls. I hope to pick up Fields of Blood soon and see what it has to offer along the subjects you brought up.

jasper

Rotten DM
my group has one castle in one part of the world and one pc in another is trying to become a town council member.
In the castle part of the world the frontier is 100 miles north but the area is not totally secure. They still have a dragon who is the major player in that part to deal with but since most of their adventures have been outside of its territory it did not notice them until recently. That and a former party member who is now a vampire is going to be a slight problem.

In the town council part the area is secured but some of their actions are going to come back and haunt them. They will have to deal with various factions in town but mainly minor headaches.

Steverooo

First Post
I made a "kingdom", as a PC... It kwashes adventure, and pretty much embroils the campaign in politics. About the only adventures, after that, are wars...

Personally, I find it a poor choice for unretired PCs!

Arnwyn

First Post
It hasn't happened yet IMC, as my players have never achieved the appropriate levels. I certainly want it to be an option for the PCs, though, so I've gone out of my way to collect related kingdom-management rules.

It will be done in an established setting, so I'll have all the pieces ready to go in regards to neighboring regions, diplomacy, etc.

Mason Wolfy

First Post
In my campaign. A group of villains (the players) are trying to overthrow a king by gaining followers and the help of an ancient Dragon born king reclaim his throne in a neighboring nation. The setting is a small island continent (about the size of Australia that is the last home of most races since the neighboring continent ( known as the Old Empire) is plagued by byproducts of an arcane war between the old gods. But when they do overthrow the king, they'll probably have to defend it against rebels and the other nations.

The Glen

Legend
Absolutely. I grew up with BECMI, where nation building was a staple of the campaign. If my players want to have fun with making their own nations, I encourage them. As long as they are having fun, nothing wrong with it.

Aspects07

Villager
I made a "kingdom", as a PC... It kwashes adventure, and pretty much embroils the campaign in politics. About the only adventures, after that, are wars...

Personally, I find it a poor choice for unretired PCs!

Respectfully, I'd have to disagree with this. It is a great reward for players who want to do more than the typical dungeon crawl after dungeon crawl. It gives them something tangible in the setting that they built and fostered and seek to protect, in that protecting it is an amazing source of adventure in and of itself, as well as the fine line of political intrigue to offer a quick diversion from the crawl. I'm the type that likes to see my character having a major impact on the setting, even if just locally and I encourage my players to reach for such lofty goals. Also, eventually your superpowered PC will become rather stagnant and this gives a player an opportunity to start anew inside a setting they have helped shape and build, perhaps to serve or conflict with their previous PCs who have set aside the sword to manage their holdfast. I feel it gives the player a firm connection to the setting and a desire to both pursue the narrative and expand upon the lore of their setting.

S

Sunseeker

I have a retired character I run on the side of my current campaign. I'm currently building a kingdom god-pharaoh style, all the local Goa'uld are gonna be totally jelly.

In this case, it's a little bit of both building a kingdom from scratch and conquering the nearby kingdom, while playing a little 1984 with my disguised simulacrum taking over a 3rd kingdom with the original kingdom was at war with and I am "at war with". The current area has a great deal of "empty room" in the form of a wasteland to build a kingdom from. Playing the kingdoms against each other is arguably the most fun part.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads