• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Player characters commit suicide, DM taken to psych ward. Need medication!

scipio

First Post
Hello everybody - my game last night took a turn for the worse when 2 of my players, probably acting in character, got themselves killed. The short version of the story is thus:

Chasing down a wayward princess, the party (5 8th level characters) runs into the assassins trying to capture/ransom/kill her. Now, the assassins have advance warning of the group, which in an attempt to both find the lass and prevent her murder are tracking the assassins first. Therefore, as night approaches, the bad guys stage an ambush. They have little recon on the players as yet, but intend to make a show of force and convince the party to abandon their quest.

The opponents consist of an assassin/rogue 2/6, a shadowdancer/rogue 1/7, an elf arcane archer/ranger 2/6, and 4 wererat rogues 6th. They manage to get off a death attack (unsuccessful) on the party member on watch, then pepper him with arrows during the surprise round. Thereafter, the party is frustrated for a round or 2 by their inability to see their opponents. Finally, the party paladin calls out to negotiate. The assassin warns them off the quest, and demands they cease and desist their heroic pursuit. Most party members grumblingly accept the terms (except for the paladin, quite appropriately); nevertheless, the ambush party withdraws, with the understanding that future pursuit will be a death sentence for the players.

Soooo...3 party members depart, planning to take another route to their destination. The ranger of the group decides to follow the tracks - still at night, torch in hand, no more than 30 minutes after this all went down. The party paladin refuses to let him go alone. Needless to say, the elven archer with far- and rapid-shot, a distance weapon, magically enhanced vision, and concealment lets fly her arrows at the well-marked targets. I expected them to run, but they doused the torch and waited without moving. The shadowdancer and assassin move in, delivering sneak and death attacks as the archer hit the area with flaming arrows to illuminate the targets. The end result of all of this is 2 dead party members, 1 dead shadowdancer (I threw the guys a bone), and 1 upset player (OOG, the paladin's player knew it was coming, and took it all in stride). Was I grossly unfair here? What does everyone think?

Last edited:

Seems pretty fair to me. They were confronted with a superior force, allowed to back off, and then followed the same course of action that almost got them killed the first time without adjusting tactics or anything else.

They should have expected to get boned.

Although, the encounter seemed a little tough, so if you intended the party to take them on and win, you might have overdone it a bit.

FCWesel

First Post
I don't think you were out of line. You used the tactics that the enemy NPCs would use without cheating.

However, maybe your forgetting one of the most important things for a GM:

"In RPGS...Living can be worse then death." Now that they are dead, you cannot "punish" them or really put them through some adventure and RP opportunities. It might have been better to have the PCs taken down and awaken as prisoners of the baddies...

After all...what's worse for the character...waking up, tied and gagged without any of your stuff or being dead?

What's worse for the rest of the group the baddies now have a decent percentage of the "group's stuff."

JPL

Adventurer
So.."Player Characters commit suicide." Not "Players." Good.

Sounded like a "Mazes and Monsters" thing there for a second.

Kazuel

First Post
The party was clearly outclassed in this encounter and they should have known not to follow, for at least that night. They should have waited until the odds were more in their favor before confronting the assassins. They may have been acting in complete accord with how their characters would have reacted and that's why people die. When a party makes a multitude of mistakes, people die. The party splits up, people die. They want to split up and chase after an overwhelming threat, people are SURE to die. I think they handled the encounter very well up to the point where they decided to follow. It had to seem foolish to them as well. I guess they don't take lessons in humility very well.

irdeggman

First Post
One of the most common problems with rangers is that they go of by themselves and get ambushed and die. I don't know how many times this has happend to our group over the years, I've even done it myself. Rule 1 - never split up the party!

scipio

First Post
FCWesel said:
"In RPGS...Living can be worse then death." Now that they are dead, you cannot "punish" them or really put them through some adventure and RP opportunities. It might have been better to have the PCs taken down and awaken as prisoners of the baddies...

After all...what's worse for the character...waking up, tied and gagged without any of your stuff or being dead?

What's worse for the rest of the group the baddies now have a decent percentage of the "group's stuff."

Well, I do hate to kill players, but it seems that I have one of the more lethal campaigns going. Thanks for reminding me about the enemy getting their stuff, though! For the record, I expected the party to be beaten by this group in this setting - surprised, at night, in a well-coordinated ambush - but not killed. In a straight-up fight, this party would have dispatched the bad guys easily (especially as I sometimes forget all of the abilities available to higher level prestige class villains). That said, capturing players is one of the worst things you can do to them, definitely worse than death...

JPL said:
So.."Player Characters commit suicide." Not "Players." Good.

Sounded like a "Mazes and Monsters" thing there for a second.
Uh, I'd suggest you (scipio) changed the thread title. It really looks like you're saying that your players, because they were in character, commited suicide (actual, real-life suicide) and that the DM was actually sent to the Psychiatric hospital...

As for the situation at hand:

I think you did what had to be done. The characters were warned, they split up, they faced assassins. You did nothing wrong IMO.

One question: How did the ranger multiclass into the Arcane Archer without taking a level of Wizard or Sorcerer?

AR

RithTheAwakener

First Post
Uh, I'd suggest you (scipio) changed the thread title. It really looks like you're saying that your players, because they were in character, commited suicide (actual, real-life suicide) and that the DM was actually sent to the Psychiatric hospital...

Well it does say "Player characters"

As someone said above, Rule #1 is dont split the party up, especially where there are sneaky people in the forest. You were right in doing this, and if u really wanted to capture them (which it doesnt seem like an assassin party would do) i think you can switch out the death attack for a stun attack, but i dont quite recall for certain, and dont have books near me. Does sound like a fun campaign tho :D

Remove ads