• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

player chronicles

Quickleaf

Legend
Is there a great product out there for a player to record the group's adventures on?

We're starting a new 4e campaign in the summer and we're doing a gift exchange - I give each of them something to help out at the table with, and they bring me a bit of DM tribute. :angel:

For the cartographer, a mostly blank poster-size map of the kingdom.

For the initiative tracker, the Game Mastery Combat Pad.

For the rules expert, a bunch of condition tiles and blast/burst templates.

For the treasurer, a trading card album (to hold Paizo item cards).

For the MCee/host, a couple mixed CDs with gaming music.

For the chronicler.... ??

Wik

First Post
Well, I don't have a good answer for you, but kudos on the awesome gaming idea! That's friggin' brilliant!

Why not just get a nice journal and pen set from Staples? It fits the rest of the vibe for the gifts you're giving, after all. If you got one with a nice cover (you can get an "oldschool" book - I have a couple myself), and the player could use it in game to take notes which would later be transcribed in your preferred method.

Really, any word processor works well as a "chronicler". I think Word 2007 has a journal/blog function, and that works perfectly fine. Truth be told, there doesn't need to be any sort of RPG-specific chronicle function.

I'd give the hardcover journal, and let the guy subscribe to Livejournal or something like that. Probably the easiest method.

Quickleaf

Legend
Hmm, I think she's more the book type than the wiki guru. The paper blank suggestions looks neat.

Are there any nicely formatted adventure logs specifically for D&D, or better yet, for 4th edition?

Something with a place to write XP, the quest, who attended, campaign date, that sort of stuff.

Goodman Games' has a good Campaign Record booklet for DMs. It includes spaces for writing in locations, gods, major NPC stats, names and notes for minor NPCs, a space for drawing a map, and sections for adventure summaries at Heroic, Paragon, and Epic tiers.

Goodman Games

Quickleaf

Legend
Goodman Games' has a good Campaign Record booklet for DMs. It includes spaces for writing in locations, gods, major NPC stats, names and notes for minor NPCs, a space for drawing a map, and sections for adventure summaries at Heroic, Paragon, and Epic tiers.

Goodman Games
Oh yeah, I have it, rocks. :)

I'm looking for something I can give a player as a gift. This player is the game chronicling - she records what happens in the adventures, keeps track of quests, and records clues.

I'm thinking there isn't such a product out there, so maybe I'll just go with the medieval looking journal idea.

EpicWords

First Post
Quickleaf,

As Ktulu suggested, you may be interested in EpicWords.com. While a paid account might hold some interest for you, the basic account is FREE and includes the majority of the site tools. Here is a run down of the more imporatant features that come with a free account:
  • Campaign Journal - your players can blog in character and collectively create an adventure journal.
  • Wikis
  • XP Tracking
  • Loot Tracking
  • A private Campaign Forum
  • Private Messaging
  • RSS feeds and email notification on posts
  • There are a variety of privacy features so you can decide what is publically viewed and what is not.
  • The Activity Log is an easy way to see who's been posting updates.
Paid Accounts also provide storage space for uploading files, and are just $12 a year. A GM can choose to share his/her storage space with their players. This is handy in case someone forgot their character sheet, or for sharing maps and handouts, etc. You can find out more about the accounts on the About Epic Words page.

Epic Words is compatable with all game systems. Since it's on-line, your players can stay involved with the game inbetween sessions, and take care of any 'housekeeping' then. That way, game time gets to really be game time.

Special thanks to Ktulu for mentioning us.

We hope you get a chance to try it out!
-Epic Words
www.epicwords.com

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads