Player Concerns about Enemy Power Level

Bruize

First Post
My players have been expressing concerns that the enemies in The Dying Skyseer were stronger than they should be. I think part of their problem is that while I am attempting to use tactics including those presented in the encounter write ups, the players often don't work as a team. An example of this is the arsonist encounter during which the team split into 2 smaller group, the wizard and rogue taking Eberardo into melee combat and the Range, Paladin, and Warlord going after Valando on the roof.

I guess what I'm asking is if other groups are having the same issues or are my PCs just a little unlucky and poorly coordinated?

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
The encounter you cite is the only encounter in Skyseer that gave my players a run for their money (and the only one that comes hot on the heels of another encounter with no time for a long rest). I actually think the encounters tend to be underpowered if anything. (Again, with the exception of the arsonists.)

The same applies to Digging for Lies: Only the Thing from Beyond caused my players to break a sweat - again, an encounter that comes at the end of a very long day. (The final trap in the Ziggurat of Apet - involving the whole dungeon - is challenging too.)

My experience has been the same with Always on Time and just looking at the encounters from Cauldron Born I can see that I'm going to have to beef them up.

So my guess is that your evaluation of your PCs is accurate.

I agree with the evaluation from Skyseer Encounters, but the final of Digging for Lies, before the Thing from Beyond, with all the monster running wild on the RHC quarters and Saxby too was quite difficult for my players.

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
I agree with the evaluation from Skyseer Encounters, but the final of Digging for Lies, before the Thing from Beyond, with all the monster running wild on the RHC quarters and Saxby too was quite difficult for my players.

I guess that's why my players found the last encounter so difficult - between that fabulous RHC encounter and the preceding Gala of the Ancients, they had blown almost all of their big powers.

Ironically, because I had toughened the Gala fight (so my PCs thought it was the Grand Finale) I weakened the RHC encounter somewhat, removing one or two thoughtforms in case the sequence turned in to a bit of a grind. I think that's the only case in the AP when I made such a decision. (Although, due to terrible dice rolls in the first undersea Ziggurat fight, I skipped the escaped water elemental encounter too - mainly because I had an additional surprise up my sleeve for the journey back home.)

But don't get me wrong: I love the design of Zeitgeist encounter. Each one is markedly different and presents a fresh challenge to the players. It's just that sometimes the bad guys need a bit more oomph, both to present a threat damage-wise and be able to soak up enough hits to stick around long enough to be memorable.

I'm very much hoping that when the players finally get a crack at Lya's bodyguards, those two lay down some serious hurt before biting the dust.

Remove ads