• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Player consent required -spoilers for new adv book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobody is hurt by a game of D&D. Back in the 80s, it was the likes of Patricia Pulling and William Dear that claimed AD&D was psychologically damaging and a contributory cause of the suicides of Irving Pulling and James Eggbert, III. Do we need to apologize for them for mocking them all these years about their claims of role playing games being harmful? It's just weird to hear players these days claiming the game can be harmful.
While D&D doesn't 'hurt anybody', I will absolutely push back about things not being harmful.

'Bleed' is an absolutely real thing. I've seen it at tables, I've seen it online on MUDs/MUSHes. Seen it on MMOs. And I don't mean 'bleed' in the sense of Chick Tract 'Oh no! Blackleaf!' but in the sense where you have people splitting up relationships and getting divorces and leaving their kids because they fell in love with the guild tank.

It's like saying no one is hurt by the law or by religion. It's true in the most basic sense, but those things get weaponized.

Scribe

Legend
Does that instruction talk about playing with strangers, or does it paint with a broad brush?
Its not going to matter in any practical manner.

Playing with friends, already running session 0, or your group doesnt care about such things? Ignore it.
Playing with strangers, its an Official Reminder from WoTC, to check on these things.

If one cares or dismisses such behavior, is a line we all fall on one side of or another, and those lines are already drawn, so its...kind of not really a productive discussion for most of us at this point. :D

I just find turning into a tentacle monster to be a thing I would never guess would freak someone out. I am sure that person exists somewhere.

If someone was upset about it, I would cut that part out, make a work around or whatever.

If I am being honest, I would avoid playing with someone who has a lot of restrictions. A particular thing can be worked around. But a laundry list of limitations would not work for me.
What would your feelings be on this if by turning into a tentacle monster, you no longer can wear armor? You no longer have appropriate appendages to use your weapons or most skills? You no longer know the proper somantic gestures?

What's your buy-in threshold for that?

MGibster

Legend
Yes they can be. Words can cause real and lasting harm to others. Especially when those words come from friends. When friends sitting around a table playing a game and their words are careless or ignorant of others, they can cause harm, intentionally, knowingly, or not.
Then it's time for us to hold a seance and apologize to Patricia Pulling because she and others were completely on track in reagards to the psychological damage a game of AD&D can cause.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Then it's time for us to hold a seance and apologize to Patricia Pulling because she and others were completely on track in reagards to the psychological damage a game of AD&D can cause.
It's not just D&D. It could be anything where people with trauma or PTSD or phobias have things shoved in their faces by people, especially people they thought were friends or might become friends. It feels like it shouldn't be hard to avoid shoving stuff in someone's face once one knows about it being a thing for them. And once one knows a sizeable group might have that issue, it doesn't feel hard to check on it in advance.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Does that instruction talk about playing with strangers, or does it paint with a broad brush?

Which do you want? Instructions that may not apply to you or detailed instructions that say, “you who are ever so smart and wonderful don’t need these instructions but they might be helpful to dome people?”

Good grief. There’s just no winning. The goalposts just keep shifting down range.

Hussar

Legend
Nobody is hurt by a game of D&D. Back in the 80s, it was the likes of Patricia Pulling and William Dear that claimed AD&D was psychologically damaging and a contributory cause of the suicides of Irving Pulling and James Eggbert, III. Do we need to apologize for them for mocking them all these years about their claims of role playing games being harmful? It's just weird to hear players these days claiming the game can be harmful.

Wow. I just shared an anecdote where I admitted that I was made to feel so uncomfortable by what was going on in the game that I left the group and now it’s “no one is ever harmed”.

Harm does not mean that blood is gushing out of my left ear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads