• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Player consent required -spoilers for new adv book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hussar

Legend
There's another part of the "content bar" being put in the adventure. It normalizes having that conversation. It makes it just another thing instead of a big deal. Which is exactly what it should be.

Maybe it's an age thing. The idea that I'm going to open up about trauma to a bunch of guys during game night is just not going to happen. You suffer in silence. That's what was expected of you. Talking about your feelings? Men don't do that.

Except, now, we've kinda realized that maybe, just maybe, acknowledging mental health issues shouldn't be stigmatized to the degree where people are freaking out, like in this thread, and claiming that someone who didn't like bad things happening to their character would get kicked from the group. Again, I'm not making that up. That's been repeated a number of times in this thread.

I remember a time when everyone thought Session 0 was a waste of time. Why bother talking about the campaign after all? The players are there to play whatever the DM provides. Well, that sort of thinking has kinda fallen by the wayside. We expect Session 0's now. It's basic DMing advice.

Well guess what? That's no different than this.

Hussar

Legend
Is that all?

Two adventures ago, in the game I play in, we had just that very thing as a risk: every time we cast a curative spell the recipient had a small chance of, over the next day or so, painlessly sprouting a tentacle or similar from the point on their body where the cure was applied.

Both in and out of character we didn't know this was even a thing until my Cleric's hench grew a tentacle three days in. By the time we figured out a) the cause and b) a means of safely getting rid of them, three or four other characters had new appendages as well. No big deal to the players, a much bigger deal to the characters themselves until the growths could be dealt with.
So, again, because the group of you that have played together for many, many years, probably socialize outside of gaming on a regular basis, don't have any problems, no one should ever have any problems? If it doesn't bother you and yours, no one should ever be bothered.

This is precisely why we need sidebars like this in the game.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Think of it like the warning signs you see in certain amusement parks. Besides asking about your height or weight for basic safety precautions, some do ask about other health conditions:

View attachment 294632
I always just assumed signs like that were there mostly to keep insurance companies and the legal department happy, so the ride operators couldn't be sued if something went wrong.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
There's another part of the "content bar" being put in the adventure. It normalizes having that conversation. It makes it just another thing instead of a big deal.
I see it as quite the opposite: making a big deal out of (at most) just another thing.
Except, now, we've kinda realized that maybe, just maybe, acknowledging mental health issues shouldn't be stigmatized to the degree where people are freaking out, like in this thread, and claiming that someone who didn't like bad things happening to their character would get kicked from the group. Again, I'm not making that up.
Indeed, you're not making it up. I've said it, and I'll stand by it.

My general view is that if you can't stand the heat then don't stay in the kitchen; and you've backed that up with your story of leaving a game where things got uncomfortable. Not every game is for everyone.
I remember a time when everyone thought Session 0 was a waste of time. Why bother talking about the campaign after all? The players are there to play whatever the DM provides. Well, that sort of thinking has kinda fallen by the wayside. We expect Session 0's now. It's basic DMing advice.
I suspect your idea of a session 0 and mine are rather vastly different. :)

Mine - and it's more a session -1 - consists of, on an individual level with each prospective player, pretty much "Here's the system. Here's the setting basics. (and for past players returning "Here's the rule changes since last time"). Anything goes. You in?"

Session 0 is roll-up night, the first time the players are together in the same space; and if roll-up goes smoothly it can morph into session 1 as the characters take to the field. About the only significant thing that gets decided at roll-up night is what night we'll play each week, if that's not already locked in by other factors.

dave2008

Legend
Before starting any horror game I ask my players to tell me what they don't want to see in the game. What can I allude to and what do I need to avoid in its entirety? I'm not going to bring anything up in a game when I know it will bother someone. But it's their responsiblity to tell me what bothers them.
The whole point of most of this discussion is that: you are not everyone. You need to be able to see beyond your own limitations to understand how this language could be helpful.

Do I need this warning, no. But I am glad it is there for others that do. I would suggest you stop trying to limit yourself..

dave2008

Legend
Is that all?

Two adventures ago, in the game I play in, we had just that very thing as a risk: every time we cast a curative spell the recipient had a small chance of, over the next day or so, painlessly sprouting a tentacle or similar from the point on their body where the cure was applied.

Both in and out of character we didn't know this was even a thing until my Cleric's hench grew a tentacle three days in. By the time we figured out a) the cause and b) a means of safely getting rid of them, three or four other characters had new appendages as well. No big deal to the players, a much bigger deal to the characters themselves until the growths could be dealt with.
Do you understand that the warning it not for you? It is for those who need it, not those who do not.

dave2008

Legend
I always just assumed signs like that were there mostly to keep insurance companies and the legal department happy, so the ride operators couldn't be sued if something went wrong.
No. Ride operators absolutely get sued when something goes wrong. Happened at my State fair a few years ago.

This debate is mostly academic because I don't believe either a) people with long term gaming groups are routinely subjecting their players to unwanted and triggering content b) the dodgy dudes who do subject randoms to this deliberately at pick up games or whatever are going to be swayed by a book including details on consent.
There are an awful lot of people who don't fall into either box a) or box b).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads