D&D 5E Player consent required -spoilers for new adv book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sure, it happens sometimes. But I think if we can do very simple things to reduce the risk of that happening, it’s only common courtesy to do so.

I don’t think one player objecting ought to ruin the fun for everyone. Not every game is for everyone. It’s good policy to try to set appropriate expectations for your games so potential players can more accurately determine if it’s going to be for them, and choose not to play if it isn’t.
again if you want to do this fair enough. Where I think it is an issue is universal using this advice. People deal with table expectations in all kinds of different ways. And as I said before the stakes are exceedingly low here

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
that isn’t what I am saying, which I think is clear. My point is not every group thinks it adds to fun to have the GM checking with but in on this stuff. Especially if the things he or she is checking on us pretty standard stuff (I would say body horror is pretty standard).
I think we just disagree on the “standardness” of body horror. That’s something that a lot of people find highly disturbing. Bodily distortion is up there with spiders among common severe phobias.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
that isn’t what I am saying, which I think is clear. My point is not every group thinks it adds to fun to have the GM checking with but in on this stuff. Especially if the things he or she is checking on us pretty standard stuff (I would say body horror is pretty standard).
It isn't supposed to add fun to the game to ask if there's anything the players would like to not have in a game or to earn them if yours might contain some of the stuff that seems to be more commonly requested to avoid - is it? Presumably one could even say the game contains anything and everything and the players need to be aware of that.

Does it ruin a game for you if the DM gives a few pieces of what could happen just in case? Or if they ask the players if there is anything they wouldn't like to have in, so it can either be changed or so the player can find another game?

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Interesting to see the argument that this is ok if it’s about defending fun, but not ok if it’s about protecting people with sensitivities.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I am sure some people would find becoming a werewolf or polymorphing an ogre disturbing but I think this is far, far from the norm. These have been very standard features if RPGs for ages
I think it depends on how it’s depicted. Like, a witch waving her wand and turning someone into a frog with a puff of smoke, or a person’s hair, nails, and canines growing? Yeah, those are pretty tame. On the other hand, a visceral description of flesh tearing, bones cracking, and organs re-arranging themselves as someone’s whole body structure is violently forced into a new shape? That’ll make a lot of people physically ill to hear.

Now me, I love body horror! I actually like to crank it up on Mind Flayers; rather than the whole body being turned into a purple Cthulhu-monster, I like to describe them as walking corpses with four tentacles that erupted through the front of the skull. But I check in with players about their comfort level with body horror before I use mind flayers, cause I know that imagery could seriously upset people who aren’t prepared for it.

Does it ruin a game for you if the DM gives a few pieces of what could happen just in case? Or if they ask the players if there is anything they wouldn't like to have in, so it can either be changed or so the player can find another game?
Personally I would much rather be surprised by game content, especially the kind in the OP. I wouldn’t mind something at the start of a campaign before I join letting me know the genre or something though

Asking players if there is anything they wouldn’t like bothers a lot of people believe it or not. There are some play styles where that isn’t an issue, but for me it is up there with things like wish lists for magic items. I really am not a fan of the players editing the game world in that way (just my preference, there are people who do like that, and that is fine). But again I think people are universalizing their own preferences and sensibilities here

I do think we all negotiate the question ‘is this the game for me?’ Differently. I don’t think a formal procedure is the solution to that question. Me I would rather get a feel from conversation with a GM but ultimately what is going to turn me off to a campaign isn’t whether it has mindflayers or werewolves but if Whether I like the people playing, the Gm’s style, and whether there are things like smoking at the table. Those are all things I am happy to discover over 1-2 sessions before deciding if I want to continue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads