• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Player Created Feats - Please help *Found a snag - See last post*

the Jester

Legend
The dynamic defender and universal defender feats seem both out of character for a devoted defender and also overpowered to me. I do like the long arm defender one though.

dvvega

Explorer
My thoughts ...

Dynamic Defender
Having to take a feat to change your "charge" for a combat is worth the trade off for versatility. It's not that much of a change to the concept of a devoted defender.

However I would make it a full round action that involves movement to the new "charge". This would stop it being abused by magic that grants extra move actions.

Long Armed Defender
I believe the original class was written with 5' reach in mind, and that is why Harm's Way has the limitation of 5' only. I do not personally see a problem with just modifying Harm's Way instead of making it a new feat. But if you want it controlled, I would take Crothain's advice and allow the feat to increase the 5' limit to reach.

Universal Defender
Although it seems "okay" on the outside, requires Harm's Way and Dynamic Defender, there is one little danger. The Fireball Us Situation. Imagine a Devoted Defender who has evasion and an ungodly Reflex Save or even Improved Evasion. If I remember correctly, the Devoted Defender would be able to take the fireball for everyone around him (max of 8 within 5' reach). I would probably nix this feat.

D

reveal

Adventurer
Welp, I found a snag. One of the player created feats above says that the DD can change charges in combat as a move action. The other says they can use it with anyone. One of the abilities the DD gets at 2nd level is that if someone attacks the DD's charge and the DD is adjacent to the attacker, the DD can make an AoO against the attacker... AT ANY TIME.

Not that big of a deal because the DD chooses their charge at the beginning of combat and can't change it. But if the player takes the above feats, then they could essentially get an unlimited number of AoOs per combat. :(

Arkhandus

First Post
I'd just say nix Universal Defender. That one is unbalanced and unfair, and just doesn't make sense anyway. They couldn't really divide their attention between watching enemies threatening them and also watching enemies threatening every one of their allies nearby. They couldn't defend everybody around them, it's too much to pay attention to at once while still trying to dodge and attack and such. So get rid of Universal Defender and let them acquire the other two feats. However, Dynamic Defender should maybe only allow them to change charges once per battle, or perhaps twice. And probably as a standard action rather than move-equivalent.

Remove ads