• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Player Dilemma: How to bow out of a campaign you don't like.

katcitrus

First Post
So I've been playing in a Pathfinder campaign at a local gaming store for a month now, with a new GM. He's nice enough, but he isn't usually very well prepared and he tends to railroad us into whatever the mod says we should be doing. I don't have anything against him personally, but I'm used to GMs knowing the rules better and letting the players feel as if they have some effect on the course of events (even if the GM is just taking us to where he wants us anyway). I like the mod itself, and I really enjoy my character and the other players characters. I just don't enjoy his GMing style. To make matters more complicated, we just moved to this area and we'd like to keep playing at this store, or at least with some people who frequent the store. Does anyone have any advice on how to gracefully bow out of this campaign? Or how to talk to the GM about the railroading issue? Help!

Nagol

Unimportant
"Thanks for the opportunity to play. I've enjoyed playing my character and the other players. I don't think our styles match very well and I'm going to bow out of the campaign after the next session."

Be willing to discuss why the styles are meshing if he wants more feedback -- you prefer stronger PC role and meaningful choice than you've seen from his style. Be prepared to give examples, but keep the tone non-judgemental and not accusatory.

Cephor

Villager
I concur with DnD_Dad. Be up front with the guy. You profess him to be a nice guy so he's probably pretty easy going. As a fairly inexperienced GM myself, I want my players to help me improve and give honest feedback. It helps everyone involved. It sounds like his GMing style is the only thing that's really frustrating you. Based on that, perhaps not give up hope, especially since you like your character and the rest of the party.

Meet him one on one and tell him what your feeling. I guarantee under most circumstances, it won't turn out as bad or awkward as you think. Voice your concerns, but peaceably. The sooner the better too. Once you iron things out, watch him and see if he improves and help him fine tune his gamemastering. You never know, he could be frustrated with the game, but isn't sure what to do. You could be the person that gives him the advice he needs!

If after that it still just isn't working, tell him you would prefer to bail the game, respectfully. This will alleviate any drama and the rest of the group can continue. Bonus show of support: help him find your replacement!

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
If you have decided to leave, tell him what you enjoyed about his game and what you'll be doing instead - eg you've decided to join a different campaign or GM yourself. Personally if I'm leaving a game I don't normally offer criticism unless it's requested - which it never is. :devil:
OTOH if you are thinking about staying in the game, it is ok to suggest that he run the adventure more open, allow for alternative courses of action, etc. I don't generally find that this works, though - if a GM is happy railroading you down a linear adventure he is unlikely to want to change, and opening up a linear adventure takes a lot of work and some skill, which he may not have.

Wycen

Explorer
If you prefer the non-confrontational approach or don't mind being a jerk there are a multitude of ways to handle it.

Just stop showing up. Start slow like showing up late, then missing half a session then not at all.
If you don't mind being a jerk don't even bother communicating.

Make up excuses, "I have to work on a project" "I'm joining a tv watching group that night" "I'm sick".

Tell them you'd like to try a new game you bought and invite the people you like to a game hosted at your place.

I think you can find other threads here about gaming groups not working out and how to move on, but you'll have to find the right search terms...oh, might not work so well since the great ENWorld hacking of 2012.

But you hopefully know the GM and group better than we do so take what we say with a grain of salt.

Dice4Hire

First Post
If you prefer the non-confrontational approach or don't mind being a jerk there are a multitude of ways to handle it.

Just stop showing up. Start slow like showing up late, then missing half a session then not at all.
If you don't mind being a jerk don't even bother communicating.

Make up excuses, "I have to work on a project" "I'm joining a tv watching group that night" "I'm sick".

Tell them you'd like to try a new game you bought and invite the people you like to a game hosted at your place.

I think you can find other threads here about gaming groups not working out and how to move on, but you'll have to find the right search terms...oh, might not work so well since the great ENWorld hacking of 2012.

But you hopefully know the GM and group better than we do so take what we say with a grain of salt.

I think the Op's wanting to continue playing in the same store would make this advice a bad idea.

Ramaster

Adventurer
I am exclusively a DM. I only rarely game as a PC.

In my years of experience, I have come to the conclusion that the great majority of the players will feel that giving feedback to the DM is like undermining their authority.

In my case, and in the majority of other cases I've come across, DMs actually LIKE to get feedback from the players, even when said feedback relates to something that the player in question is not enjoying/hates about the campaign.

If you approach him nicely and tell him your concerns, you will most likely get a positive response from him.

DMs tend to gravitate towards the style of play they feel more comfortable with, but it's only when they (we) leave their comfort zones that the best campaign moments start to take place.

I agree with what everyone has said as far as talking openly with the DM. I've been DM'ing and playing for over 15 years and I still ask my players for feedback/constructive criticism after every game. The thing is, DM's are people too and they make mistakes and can learn so talk to him privately about your concerns and see what he says. If he doesn't like your suggestions you can part amicably and on good terms. You find another DM or DM a game yourself at the location that you've been playing at. Breaking up with a DM doesn't mean that you can't still be friends, it just means you have different style preferences.

S'mon

Legend
In my years of experience, I have come to the conclusion that the great majority of the players will feel that giving feedback to the DM is like undermining their authority.

In my case, and in the majority of other cases I've come across, DMs actually LIKE to get feedback from the players, even when said feedback relates to something that the player in question is not enjoying/hates about the campaign.

I have to say, I don't really find that. I don't find that most GMs like negative feedback, and I don't find that GMs often change their style as a result of such feedback. A GM who actively solicits feedback is a different issue - in that case they are much more likely to take criticisms on board and adapt their game. One common case is when a player steps up to GM for the first time, they may well seek advice from an experienced GM. But in most cases, the players you describe are probably right - most veteran GMs, and some novice ones, IME don't solicit or welcome criticism.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads