• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Player Facing Combat

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
Was watching my usual YouTube channels last night and saw the Dungeoncraft YT on player-facing combat - i.e. the players roll to defend instead of the GM rolling to hit. It seems simple enough and I like the philosophy and psychology theory behind it.

How exactly does it work though?

Does the GM roll to hit first (like usual) and then the player rolls on the chart for the monster to miss? Or is a hit presumed with the only roll being by the player to determine if the hit misses?

NotAYakk

Legend
Attacks on you have a DC.

You roll your AC (or whatever) against it to defend.

---

An AC of 17 becomes an Armor Save of +7.

A +7 attack doing 2d12+5 damage becomes a DC 18 attack doing 2d12+5 damage.

The attacked player "rolls armor save" against DC 19. On a natural 1 they are critical hit.

Before, the attack had a 55% chance of hitting (10+ on d20). After, the attack has a 55% chance of hitting (Avoid it on a 12+ on a d20).

Attack DCs are 12+your attack modifiers. Yes, this is higher than save DCs of 8+your modifiers; someone with 10 in an attribute and no proficiency has the mathematical equivalent of 14 "AC" in that save.

--

You can change the math so that Attack DCs use the same math as Spell DCs.

That just means your Armor Save is 4 points lower; ie, it is AC-14. Attack DCs are 8+attack modifier, not 12+attack modifier.

This has the advantage that a monster's DCs tend to be a bit more level; the attack DC for a bruiser will match the save DC for the push-back after the hit more often.

So a 20 dex rogue in studded leather (AC 17) has an Armor Save of +3.

---

You can also flip saves around for PC spells. They roll a spell attack against an attribute defence.

A +4 Strength Save becomes a 14+4=18 "Strength Defence".

The player rolls 1d20+spell attack to see if they beat the target's "Strength Defence".

This is basically how 4e flipped saves for NAD (non-AC defences).

Last edited:

embee

---

An AC of 17 becomes an Armor Check of +7.

The attacked player "rolls armor" against DC 19. On a natural 1 they are critical hit.

Before, the attack had a 55% chance of hitting (10+ on d20). After, the attack has a 55% chance of hitting (Avoid it on a 12+ on a d20).

Attack DCs are 12+your attack modifiers. Yes, this is higher than save DCs of 8+your modifiers; someone with 10 in an attribute and no proficiency has the mathematical equivalent of 14 "AC" in that save.
As they say on the Reddits, explain it to me like I'm 5.

It is the monsters' turn.
Let's say that the monster has a +7 to hit and the player has an AC of 17. Does the GM roll at all or does the player simply roll?

On the chart, it appears that there's the starting AC 17, less the monster's +7 to hit, lowering it to an effective 10. So now the player needs to roll a 12 to defend the attack.

Do I have that correct?

NotAYakk

Legend

Let's say that the monster has a +7 to hit and the player has an AC of 17. Does the GM roll at all or does the player simply roll?

On the chart, it appears that there's the starting AC 17, less the monster's +7 to hit, lowering it to an effective 10. So now the player needs to roll a 12 to defend the attack.

Do I have that correct?
I don't now the chart or the specific implementation you are referring to. I do know how to do player-facing rolls.

I'm going to use the 2nd of the above systems - where I arrange for Armor Saves to be on the same scale as other saves.

Roll20 -- an Orc.

Greataxe: Melee Weapon Attack: reach 5 ft., one target. Make a DC 13 Armor Save or take 9 (1d12 + 3) slashing damage.

(because the original monster has a +5 attack modifier; the armor save becomes 8+5=13).

Javelin: Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: Reach 5 ft. or range 30 ft./120 ft., one target. Make a DC 13 Armor Save or take 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage. (You have advantage on the save if the orc attacks more than 30 feet away.)

Thomas the Paladin Warforged is wearing Plate and has a +1 Shield, has cast Shield of Faith on themselves.

They have an AC of 23; this is an Armor Save of +9 (because 23 AC-14=+9 armor save)

DM: The orc attacks with her greataxe. Make an armor save, DC 13.
Player: Easy! Oh crap, a 2+9 is 11. That isn't good.
DM: Take (rolls) 15 damage

A general rule becomes "if you roll a natural 1 on an armor save, damage dice are doubled".

---

If your Armor Save was AC-10 instead of AC-14, you'd just make the attack DC be 12+5 (17) instead of 8+5 (13) for the Orc.

I did Save of AC-14 and attack DC of 8+attack modifier because it makes the Orcs attack DCs and its other strength DCs line up; if the Orc's hit had a rider like "and are knocked prone unless you make a strength saving throw", the DC on that saving throw would be 13 (8+strength+proficiency).

Last edited:

embee

I don't now the chart or the specific implementation you are referring to.
PFC.jpg

Crit

Explorer

---

An AC of 17 becomes an Armor Save of +7.

The attacked player "rolls armor save" against DC 19. On a natural 1 they are critical hit.

--

You can change the math so that Attack DCs use the same math as Spell DCs.

That just means your Armor Save is 4 points lower; ie, it is AC-14. Attack DCs are 8+attack modifier, not 12+attack modifier.

This has the advantage that a monster's DCs tend to be a bit more level; the attack DC for a bruiser will match the save DC for the push-back after the hit more often.

So a 20 dex rogue in studded leather (AC 17) has an Armor Save of +3.

---

You can also flip saves around for PC spells. They roll a spell attack against an attribute defence.

A +4 Strength Save becomes a 14+4=18 "Strength Defence".

The player rolls 1d20+spell attack to see if they beat the target's "Strength Defence".

This is basically how 4e flipped saves for NAD (non-AC defences).
This is all pretty interesting, at least, it sounds so. I don't expect a huge answer, but are there any advantages to defense rolls rather than attack rolls? How does it change the experience at the table?

embee

The theory is that the players, by virtue of rolling to defend (as opposed to the GM rolling to attack and the players sitting there waiting), are more engaged. Rolling clackety rocks is inherently fun. Also, it makes them active (they're defending) as opposed to passive (they're getting hit).

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)

Do I have that correct?
You do.

The DM does not roll.

They may still roll for damage or just use the average for speed.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads