• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Player going away for a few weeks - suggestions

Xilo

First Post
So one of my players is heading home to the States for a few weeks and I need some good ideas for what happens to her character during that time. Basically I don't want her to be kidnapped as it's a little too obvious, but I keep hitting a blank when I think of what else to do.

Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Nyaricus

First Post
Well, what else is happening in the game? If you could further explain that part, I'm sure someone here on EN World will come up with somehting that fills in the time your player and her character are on hiatus :)

cheers,
--N

Xilo

First Post
Nyaricus said:
Well, what else is happening in the game? If you could further explain that part, I'm sure someone here on EN World will come up with somehting that fills in the time your player and her character are on hiatus :)

cheers,
--N

Good point.

Currently the party of 4, the player going away (the ranger), a rogue, a priest and a warrior wizard type are tracking down a rogue wizard. I have the next few sessions planed out when they try to find the rogue and instead stumble across another wizard who is in the process of becoming a Thrall of Orcus.

Now I had planned that they would be all finished with the rogue wizard story arc by the time she goes away in a couple of weeks, but of course they may get side tracked.

She also has a lover who was killed in front of her by a band of Orcs a year ago that she is trying to locate.

Greylock

First Post
So, the player is taking a few weeks off. First thing I'd ask the player is what they want their char doing these few weeks. Catching up on some sleep, running down the one-armed man, following the scent of some exotic flower, or just following along and not contributing because the char is studying some new weapon.

Unless the afore-mentioned player is being kidnapped IRL.

IMO you are over thinking this.

Xilo

First Post
Greylock said:
IMO you are over thinking this.

Fair call.

You've obviously had players dip out for a bit and then come back. Generally what do they do while not actively taking part?

Greylock

First Post
Whatever makes in game sense. We closed a session a while back after a mighty battle. Two players would not be back for three weeks. In that time, their characters succored the good NPCs, and helped rebuild their farm. Their quaint little spider farm.

In last weeks game, one player left his char in a trance discovering an inner oneness with his god. In other games, the players tag along and get to add to non-combat interactions as the DM sees fit, but disappear when arrows fly and get no XP.

Whatever works for you and the player at hand.

Nyaricus

First Post
Xilo said:
You've obviously had players dip out for a bit and then come back. Generally what do they do while not actively taking part?
My last session two players (a boyfriend and girlfrined) didn't come and didn't tell me beforehand. I simply told the players that when they awoke that morning and went into the other two PCs room, they were gone. The gnome who runs the inn they are staying in say the other two left that morning, without explaination.

It was the best I could do under the circumstances, but you could say that the player came down with an illness and had to go see an elven healer in another kingdom or somehting.

Worse comes worse, get the ranger to be played by another player, or even yourself. I've had one of my players run TWO other PCs besides his own, and while that's a bit much, one more isn't much :)

Any more quesitons are welcome, of course :)

cheers,
--N

Rassilon

First Post
My group does something that works well for us, though I've seen others on ENWorld syaing they hate it. It comes from difficulty in availability - if we can get 3 of the 4 players, we play - so pretty often there is someone who isn't there.

Basically the character is more like an NPC with the group. Still travels with them, just doesn't say much. Another player will control the character if needed, such as in combat, or if the character has the essential skills.

It means that there is no need to alter the in game for occasional or short term out of game concerns. It doesn't affect out engagement or diminish our sense of verisimiiltude. YMMV.

Rassilon.

Thurbane

First Post
Xilo said:
So one of my players is heading home to the States for a few weeks and I need some good ideas for what happens to her character during that time. Basically I don't want her to be kidnapped as it's a little too obvious, but I keep hitting a blank when I think of what else to do.

Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.
Have him called off to gather some info at a distant library, travel to meet an important NPC for whatever reason, called home to see a relative/friend on their deathbed...there are a lot of possibilities...
Rassilon said:
My group does something that works well for us, though I've seen others on ENWorld syaing they hate it. It comes from difficulty in availability - if we can get 3 of the 4 players, we play - so pretty often there is someone who isn't there.

Basically the character is more like an NPC with the group. Still travels with them, just doesn't say much. Another player will control the character if needed, such as in combat, or if the character has the essential skills.

It means that there is no need to alter the in game for occasional or short term out of game concerns. It doesn't affect out engagement or diminish our sense of verisimiiltude. YMMV.

Rassilon.
Our group does exactly that when someone can't make a session.

arscott

First Post
Does the party have a patron? Or a satisfied customer?

Perhaps the ranger is recruited by said patron or customer for a different mission that only requires her specific talents, where the rest of the party would only be reduntant. You can also take advantage of the situation to create an adventure where the ranger's talents wouldn't be that useful.

For example:

Count Taergen, the man who hired you to clear out the goblin-infested mines last year, has another job--A scholar from Swanmore wants to examine the nearby ruins that the party found, but is unacustomed to wilderness travel. The ranger is ideal because she knows the area, but since all the monsters were driven out last time, the entire party would be overkill. And Taergen can't afford to pay what the party's worth just for a simple guide mission.

On the other hand, the party's current mission is to locate Mother Avarice in the grimy streets of Dunport. Since an archer/wilderness expert will be next to useless in the narrow urban backalleys, there's no reason why the ranger shouldn't accept Taergen's comission--After all, the reward on Mother Avarice is the same no matter how many people apprehend her.

Remove ads