• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Player help

Bennett

First Post
Do you guys think it's cheesy if the DM does something like casting Thunder Wave with an enemy on his own allies to break 4 guys out of a hypnotic pattern spell.

Oofta

Legend
Do you guys think it's cheesy if the DM does something like casting Thunder Wave with an enemy on his own allies to break 4 guys out of a hypnotic pattern spell.

No. Forced movement is a valid tactic which did not break any rules.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
No. Forced movement is a valid tactic which did not break any rules.

In this case I think it's more about damaging your allies to break them out of the Hypnotic Pattern than doing forced movement.

But in either case, no, it's not cheesy. It's a valid tactic, one I've seen players use more than once.

Oofta

Legend
In this case I think it's more about damaging your allies to break them out of the Hypnotic Pattern than doing forced movement.

But in either case, no, it's not cheesy. It's a valid tactic, one I've seen players use more than once.

D'oh! Yes, you are correct. And I've done similar things, both as a player and a DM.

discosoc

First Post
Depends on context. As a GM, I try and form tactics based on what the NPCs would do rather than what happens to be the actual best strategy. My job isn't to beat or outsmart the players; it's to create fun encounters. That may or may not mean unusual strategies.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
If you are in Dark Sun, that is a perfectly reasonable way for a Boss to treat his Minions. They aren't any use to him while hypnotized, so break them out and punish them for being weak-minded at the same time. Very efficient.

Don't think of it as the DM controlling an enemy. Think of it as one wizard trying to outsmart another wizard. Would anyone complain if the enemy wizard had cast a hypnotic pattern to trap four PCs, and you had the clever idea of breaking them free like that?

Harzel

Adventurer

As others have said, if the NPC casting Thunderwave could reasonably know about Hypnotic Pattern, and that that was what was ailing his allies (e.g. he saw it happen), then, no, its not cheesy. It also might depend on what the stakes are for the enemy NPCs. If the Thunderwave caster thinks that it is a fight to the death anyway, then, yeah, why would he not do that?

Remove ads