• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Player looking for a DM and fellow players for a D&D 3.0 game

Moonlit_Wolf

First Post
Alright, so I'm looking for a group of players and a DM to play some 3.0 D&D here. I suppose I could also do 3.5 if absolutely necessary, though I have no 3.5 books I've played it before and it's not really all that different in most aspects. Still, I have all core rulebooks for 3.0, so I'd prefer that. The only book other than the core books I have for 3.0 is the Psionics Handbook, which I personally don't plan to use. I don't care if the DM or the players choose to use other sourcebooks that I don't possess, but I'll be using the vanilla rules for my character.

Speaking of character, I can play pretty much anything. I have the most experience with spellcasters, but I'll play whatever the party needs really.

I don't care what level we start off. I'd prefer it be at least 3, just because the first few levels are usually a little boring, but it's entirely up to the DM.

I've done PbP before, but never with strict rules, I'm eager to play some D&D on a forum to see how it works. I'd be able to post at least once a day, probably more. So...is anyone up for this? Or am I the only one who still uses 3.0?

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I think I know more people who play 2nd edition than play 3.0, but there might be someone here willing to run it. My main beef with 3.0 is that every spellcaster has to cast haste as their first action (hmm, I was going to cast lightning bolt, but I'll just cast haste AND lightning bolt instead), but on the whole it is a decent system. Look for my thread here on the Sunless Citadel if you are interested in a game. I still haven't chosen any players for it. It's starting at 1st level, and the basics for 3.5 are available via the SRD.

Moonlit_Wolf

First Post
Hm, well I suppose I wouldn't mind a 2nd edition game....I've never played one before and have always wanted to try it. I would have suggested that one as well, but I am missing the 2ed PHB >.<

Also, are you sure haste works that way? I was under the impression that if you cast it that was your spell for the round, since you weren't hasted when you cast the spell o.o;. Though it is still rather imba even then, lol. I like the 2ed haste, where each casting aged you, heehee! That'l make those mages hesitate a bit >=3

I will say that there are a few things better about 3.5 when compared to 3.0...but come on, gnomish favored class BARD???!?!? Who can I hurt for that decision? >.<

I think I'll take you up on your offer for the sunless citadel thing though, see how that goes for me =3

EDIT: erm, I don't have access to a copy of Unearthed Arcana though...I'll post there anyways for now =/

Last edited:

Arkhandus

First Post
I'm interested and still play/DM almost entirely 3.0 (by necessity, I have to accept that some of the groups I game with have the 3.5 books and want to use them, so I have to make do with running or playing some 3.5 at times).

I don't think I'm ready to run a PbP campaign right now, though. Not sure. It'd probably have to wait a week or so before I might, at least.

Arkhandus

First Post
Moonlit_Wolf said:
Also, are you sure haste works that way? I was under the impression that if you cast it that was your spell for the round, since you weren't hasted when you cast the spell o.o;. Though it is still rather imba even then, lol. I like the 2ed haste, where each casting aged you, heehee! That'l make those mages hesitate a bit >=3

EDIT: erm, I don't have access to a copy of Unearthed Arcana though...I'll post there anyways for now =/

nah, casting Haste just uses up your Standard Action for the round, then after it's been cast you gain an extra Partial Action, which you can use to cast something else. And all it really means is that Haste is still useful in 3.0, and that people have more reason to cast Slow (which is also good).

I still consider 3.0 to be a bit more balanced than 3.5, and to have fewer quirky, poorly-worded, or unbalanced spells than 3.5. Sure, a few spells are clearly better, but that just means the DM has a few obvious minor houserules to make. Whereas 3.5 has ALL KINDS of wonky spells that are either too weak, too strong, or just plain needlessly wierd (3.5 Darkness, anyone?). Not to mention the whole 'lots of conjuration ignores SR in 3.5 and conjuration is the new evocation, yo!' deal.

Still, 3E in general took some of the bite out of various spells, to be sure. I miss the old aging side-effects of Haste and Wish and suchlike.

AS FOR UA, btw, you can find much of its material in the Hypertext d20 SRD. In the Variant Rules section. It's at http://www.d20srd.org/

Moonlit_Wolf

First Post
Arkhandus said:
nah, casting Haste just uses up your Standard Action for the round, then after it's been cast you gain an extra Partial Action, which you can use to cast something else. And all it really means is that Haste is still useful in 3.0, and that people have more reason to cast Slow (which is also good).

I still consider 3.0 to be a bit more balanced than 3.5, and to have fewer quirky, poorly-worded, or unbalanced spells than 3.5. Sure, a few spells are clearly better, but that just means the DM has a few obvious minor houserules to make. Whereas 3.5 has ALL KINDS of wonky spells that are either too weak, too strong, or just plain needlessly wierd (3.5 Darkness, anyone?). Not to mention the whole 'lots of conjuration ignores SR in 3.5 and conjuration is the new evocation, yo!' deal.

Still, 3E in general took some of the bite out of various spells, to be sure. I miss the old aging side-effects of Haste and Wish and suchlike.

AS FOR UA, btw, you can find much of its material in the Hypertext d20 SRD. In the Variant Rules section. It's at http://www.d20srd.org/
Hm, well I think that my group will probably just keep using Haste the way we have been anyways, since it's pretty clearly overpowered the way it actually works =P

Personally, I like 3.0 better than 3.5, from what I've played of the two. In fact, I just got finished making a character for a new 3.5 game I joined just today (one that I don't suspect to last long, the DM is...not very knowledgeable of the rules, lol) and I have to say...it might have just been that I was a little tired, but making a werewolf character was just...a whole lot of trouble >.<. It's crazy how complex a character with lycanthropy is, and the rules were just different enough to confuse me 0.o.

Oh, thanks lots for that link, btw, I'm sure it will come in handy ^^

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads