• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Player Problems..

Arrgh! Mark!

First Post
Well, like many people it seems there comes a time when there's a player issue.

Let me explain. After finishing a successful WoT campaign (!?) which was our first successful complete campaign in about two years, due to another GM entering the picture and he being a beer-and-pretzels type of guy and I being too busy to really work on a complete campaign.

Well, after I finally mustered up the oompha to run a short WoT campaign (about 4 months worth), it was found by all that long campaigns with a modicum of versimilatude were as a rule to be more interesting than permanent one-shots or two-shots. So, more were required.

I raised the possibility of Midnight. Every person was interested, but one player had to skip the first session due to having his appendix removed. Having missed the first session, as much as I explained the world and issues the player simply didn't manage to pick up the idea of the campaign. Now, this particular player was more than vocal about being in a decent campaign for once.

When actually playing the game, he disrupts everyone, his character doesn't fit the party in any respect (It's a group of honour-driven resistance fighters, with him disrespecting every cultural item he comes across) and so on. He's playing a wild-man, but I'm finding it harder and harder to come to terms with his character being so at odds with the party and the parties goals.

An example is along the lines of this; I'm attempting to show a subtle difference between clan-dwarf and kurgan-dwarf (Underground and Hill, basically) and the slow, emotionally cripped death that they long for.

The character was raised from the age of 12 by dwarves, mind you.

So when a dwarf patiently explains a practice of honoring the dead (To another PC's question), the player shrugs and curses all dwarves for being fat and weak. Even PC's have warned the character of his impending death by their own hands.

However, every other player have mentioned their approval for the game and the style I'm running it in. (Lots of roleplaying and problem-solving through diplomacy. Or aggressive diplomacy and the termination of hostilities, at least.)

I've asked the player about this, and his answer goes along the lines of because he doesn't know a lot about the setting (As if anyone else does, mind you) he's playing a wild man who obeys no law, and doing whatever he wants is by my own rules (Roleplay what your character would do) admissable. He says he is unsure about his character, though, and might change it. I'm uncertain whether this would really help things.

I don't want to kick him out - he's been in my group for five years now. Any clues on how to deal with this?

MadMaxim

First Post
Perhaps you could try making some sort of 10-minute introduction to the whole setting at the start of the next session and outline the whole world for everybody. Then everybody should know equally much about the setting. If the player in question has further questions about the setting answer to the full extent of your knowledge.

Regarding his disruptive behavior, I'd sit down with him and tell him to stop it. Just because his character is (presumably) Chaotic Neutral and doesn't give a damn about the local laws, at least he could tone it down a bit. Or does he prefer to have everybody's attention all the time?

Graf

Explorer
Dump him.
I'm not a tremendous fan of worlds like Midnight that limit PC actions but his behavior would be unacceptable in just about any setting or world.
That suggests psycological issues.

And I will assume that even if you happen to be a trained shrink you probably don't want to be doing group sessions on the weekends.

Arrgh! Mark!

First Post
Thanks for the replies!

As a rule, I try not to limit PC actions; I assume the players will limit their own actions to their characters possibilities.

Dumping him is hard, as he's a friend of many years that acts like this only occasionally. He's just done it for two sessions in a row now and this particular session was made worse because of it.

As I have 6 - 8 players anyway, it gets more and more annoying every time I get disrupted or interrupted by something.

I must admit I was tired and grumpy, but I got more tired and more grumpy by the end of the game. I should of been feeling tired but happy.

Maybe I'll ring him up about it, or send an email.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
With such a large group, it would be frustrating for any DM to deal with that one guy who doesn't click with the rest of the group.

To be fair, think of a group of college-age men and women. There's always that one guy/girl who has a big mouth, talks down to everyone, and throws his/her weight around like s/he's King Kong... but for some reason, his/her actions are tolerated and in some cases praised by the group at large.

I see your friend's character as this person.

I'm not familiar with the Midnight campaign setting, so I'm not sure why being a big mouth would be such a huge problem in the campaign world. Calling dwarves 'fat and weak' (to me) is a great stroke of role-playing, and goes to show what the character thinks of dwarven ritual.

But, you said it yourself: the other PC's are threatening to end him if his actions continue. I say play it out, and let the PCs off him if it comes to it. If they are so honor-driven, they'll either try and enlighten him, or execute him for some honorific insult.

shilsen

Adventurer
Arrgh! Mark! said:
Maybe I'll ring him up about it, or send an email.

I'd suggets doing the former, or even better, talking to him face to face. An email can often be misconstrued since they don't convey tone very well. Plus you'll be able to get across your issues with his actions a lot more easily when speaking to him.

JoeGKushner

First Post
In terms of "dumping" him, I don't think anyone is susggesting cutting him out of the your life, just the game. I have numerous friends I don't play with because they play on days I can't make it and some play games that aren't my style. No harm, no foul afaic.

With 6-8 players, you'd have more than even, 5-7, if he's not there. If the players have actually, you know, spoken up about his issues, it should be a simple thing to go, "You know, everyone else is getting along well and your behaviour isn't conductive to the type of game that everyone else wants to play. Would you mind if we ran this one without you, or changed your character to one that is more appropriate based on what EVERYONE else is doing?"

Arrgh! Mark!

First Post
Well, I sent him a long e-mail, prior to Shilsens advice. Mainly because the only way I can contact him is on the phone. It basically said 'The character isn't condusive to good gaming. Change it.' I offered a lot of advice on how to do so and so on.

Basically what gets me is that he isn't seeming to have fun, but at the same time he's deliberately rejecting almost anything that I send at him for 'character reasons'. It's stopping other people from doing what they want to do quite often.

As for calling Dwarves fat and weak, he's not doing it in character. He's doing it out of character. When we are in the dwarven mountains, dealing with dwarven politics. There's a dwarf in the party. He's completely unengaged by any of the stuff that the other party members are quite interested in.

However, I don't want to boot him because he's not always like this. It's odd, but in some games he's quite good.

Last edited:

Remove ads