• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Player schticks that grind your gears

Montague68

First Post
Ok, here's the companion thread. :cool:

1. The mouse in the castle syndrome- This one is common in games like Champions or Gurps with extensive player choices for character creation. The group Powergamer has constructed yet another masterpiece of synergy and efficiency, and he cannot wait to put him into play. In the first game or two there is an encounter where something happens that the Powergamer did not contingency for - i.e. he discovers that he's not immune to Psionics or that he can actually be hurt by multiple enemies working together, etc. So now the player MUST correct this deficiency, and he pleads and wheedles with the GM to allow him to "tweak" his character...

2. The speedster character - This character is so fast that he can be in two places at any one time, as evidenced by the player constantly chiming in on encounters even though his character may be miles away. Also unless you're playing with miniatures, the character has a propensity to always be in melee range of the nearest baddie, at least according to the player.

Bring em in guys, I know you got em.... :)

frankthedm

First Post
3. Mr. Multi-limb. Conveniently 'forgets' he needs an empty hand to hold a weapon. Holds a battleaxe, large shield, lantern, longbow and greatsword all at the same time. Starts every combat with the best weapon in hand, Enemies far away? Full attack with the mighty bow. Enemy closed in? Full attack with great sword in round 2. More far away? Back to the full attack with the mighty bow without even having to pick it up in round 3.

92231.jpg

Last edited:

EyeontheMountain

First Post
4. Mr. Not here-Right there Most common in online gmaes, this guy usually doesn't post, or is busy reading a novel at the gaming table, until something he/she likes starts, and then he is RIGHT THERE in the center of the action, hogging glory for all he/she is worth.

Also usually doesn't know what is goin on so the situation, and the party's previous plans get sccrewed up royally.

Gothmog

First Post
5. The dark, mysterious basa$$ loner. You know the guy, the one that never works with the group, always going off on his own, and refuses to answer any questions directly. He's more concerned with looking cool and playing a clone of his favorite basa$$ than actually integrating with the group.

X

xnosipjpqmhd

6. Seventeen-Action Slim. Provides lengthy descriptions of all the various things he's going to do in a single round, and can't understand why he can't do it all.

DM: What are you doing?
Slim: I jump over the table while whipping out my sabre with my right hand, and I hook the tip of my blade on the half-orc's mug of ale and flip it up into his face. Meanwhile, with my left hand, I'm going to--
DM: Wait a second. I think that's a bit more than you can do in one round.
Slim: Fine. I'll just use one hand then.

merelycompetent

First Post
8. Never Retreat, Never Surrender! Never retreats because the GM would *NEVER* kill a character. Therefore if the player's beginning level character shoots an arrow at the huge dragon flying overhead, the player will be quite surprised to discover that it's not an illusion, that PCs are tasty to monsters, and the player now has to roll up a new character. A common subcategory is the NRNS Rules Lawyer: It says right there in the player books and/or GM books that the GM should only put in opponents that they can beat. Anything tougher isn't fair and/or the GM is being abusive. This player type would never dream of using Basic Survival Technique #1: RUN AWAY! or #2: HIDE!

Last edited:

Tumbler

First Post
The Sore Loser :The guy who believes "heroes" are heroic because they never lose, not because they get beaten down and pick themselves back up. This player also gets angry when he runs headlong into a massive combat and complains because all of the enemies surround and attack him because his party is a quarter mile behind him.

KenM

Banned
Banned
The player that has to always be where the action is, until something bad happens.

Player 1: I open the chest
DM: You are not in the room, those other party members are closer to the chest.
Player 1: I said i was opening the chest, I open the chest.
DM: Fine you go into the room and as you open the top of the chest, you see smoke coming from holes in the walls, the door to the room shuts, everyone in the room make a fort save.
Player 1: I'm not in the room then.

Remove ads