• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Player Tryouts

Afrodyte

Explorer
As a player and DM, I don't like feeling like my hobbies are like job interviews, so I don't go for the "audition" thing. I typically just be up front about what I'm looking for and what I want to do with the game, and people who fit the bill tend to make their way to you. I find that knowing what your game is all about and exactly what you are looking for when adding to your group goes a long way toward weeding out the undesirables.

In the descriptions, I tend to stay away from vague, judgemental words like "mature" or "good roleplayer" or "fits in with the group." Things you do want to include are: when and where you play, play style (interaction, tactics and strategy, problem-solving, etc.), the setting, power level, your goals for the game, and a brief description of the group (not the party, the group). From there, most people can decide if the game is for them or not. Anyone who enters a group knowing full well that the play style, schedule, and location of the game doesn't suit them can be easily dismissed for being a you-know-what.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Is there any reason to not just bring them into your regular campaign on a "trial" basis? Just sorta say, "Okay, come in on and play a few sessions, see what you think, see what we think, and then let's decide." Give them an NPC character to play -- DON'T let them roll up their own character right away. Once you've rolled up a character and gone to all that work, it's kind of a pain to get kicked out. But if you're just sitting in and trying something out, no big deal.

I would find a formal "tryout/audition" process really weird, frankly. But maybe you wouldn't want me in your gaming group.

But then my screening has all been informal -- I've never brought an unknown person into a gaming group. It's always friends or friends of friends.

Talvisota

First Post
I would make sure that the players had just as much say as you do. It's their game, too!

But contraty to what has been written previously, make sure you and yours think that the prospect fits your game and concentrate less on vice-versa. We have had the problem twice in the past of describing our group to a player who then says something like "that is exactly how I like to play," only to find out that it was certainly not the case; the persons just wanted to play badly and said what they needed to in order to be invited.

Just my experience,

I am sensitive to the subtleties of a person's character and can decide within a couple sessions whether such a personality is conducive to the group as a whole. That's the "try out." You see, I think chemistry far outweighs everything else when it comes to a group enjoying itself, and that includes knowing the rules inside and out. The latter can always be picked up along the way, but a person's character is not something I'm interested in changing. Life is too short to try to make a square peg fit in a round hole, so if a person don't click with my players, I politely inform him or her than they're not suited to the group, and leave it at that.

GlassJaw

Hero
A few emails or a chat on the phone go a long way. You can get a good idea whether someone will fit into your group pretty fast. I also ask questions about job/career, schooling, game experience, etc. Sometimes I'm not interested in the actual answers so much as HOW they answer the question.

fusangite

First Post
I'm with Die Kluge and therefore not entirely with barsoomcore and Afrodyte on this one. In my view, having someone to an episode of your game makes it very hard to get rid of them even if it's clear to everyone but them that they are not a fit. Similarly, a lot of people think they're into one sort of gaming when they're actually into a different sort. Therefore I'm much more inclined to the idea of meeting over beer or coffee which worked out very well for the campaign I had to start from scratch in the city I moved to in August.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
You could just get a new player with the understanding that it's on a trial basis. At the end of some specified time period you could say, "Sorry, it's not working out" or have the rest of the party vote.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Well, if you're dealing with people you don't actually KNOW, then yes, definitely you want to screen them a little before inviting them to join even for a trial session. I would never invite anyone to join my group in any capacity unless at least a majority of the players had met, socialized with and approved of them.

I've found once you're past that point that having someone come in on a transparently temporary basis is helpful. I don't say, "Hey join my campaign." I say, "Want to play a session in my game, see what you think?" After which I would hook up with them and share what I thought about how things went. It's never been a big deal for me.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads