• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Player want to be an animal

Fetfreak

First Post
One of my players keeps bugging me to allow him to play an animal. I allowed it once for a one-session-adventure to play some kind of a war hound and he loved it. We made him some special bite attacks and he would assist the party mostly as a distraction for the guards.
I remember that they wanted to rescue someone and there was a guard posted. So the dog ran up to him all playful and distracted the guard while the rest of the party sneaked passed him.

Now some months later he wants to play an animal again. The problem is that during that session he was quiet and was totally in his dog role.
Should I just allow him to play the animal? The rest of the group isn't too happy either since they find it too silly.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Is he the kind of player who enjoys playing in a group but is too shy/prefers not to speak in character?

If you are playing D&D, the simplest answer is to allow the character to play a Druid who is also mute (like Snake Eyes from G.I. Joe or a monk sworn to silence/lost his tongue). Once he gets Wild Shape, he can animal all day long and the players can't do much about it. ^_^

If such a character interferes with the fun of the group at large, try and find out what it is about playing an animal that he enjoys and work for a compromise.

Fetfreak

First Post
Yeah I was thinking about the similar solution.
He isn't shy, he is the very opposite.

It's just that it's kind of odd request after 12 years of gaming together.

Jhaelen

First Post
Well, there are actually quite a few RPG systems that have rules for playing animal characters, e.g. The Burning Wheel (Wolves, Spiders) and Ars Magica (Horses, Faerie Animals, etc.). The Werewolf RPG features the Red Talons faction, a tribe of werewolves that prefer to stay in wolf-shape at all times. So, there's nothing wrong with it in principle. There's two main problems:

If he's playing a mundane animal, its intelligence is severly limited, reducing it's options in the game quite drastically. So, I'd advise against that in most cases. Playing a magical animal with human-equivalent intelligence (even if it's low) would be much preferable.

Second, there's the problem of communicating with the other player characters. Unless they have a character that is similar to a Druid, Ranger, Beastmaster, etc. who is able to interpret or even speak the animal's language, interaction with the rest of the group will be rather difficult. And since you indicate they aren't particularly excited about the prospect, they probably also won't have fun trying to integrate him.

Ultimately, it will depend on your group. If you aren't averse to the idea, just discuss it with all players present.

Fetfreak

First Post
Well, there are actually quite a few RPG systems that have rules for playing animal characters, e.g. The Burning Wheel (Wolves, Spiders) and Ars Magica (Horses, Faerie Animals, etc.). The Werewolf RPG features the Red Talons faction, a tribe of werewolves that prefer to stay in wolf-shape at all times. So, there's nothing wrong with it in principle. There's two main problems:

If he's playing a mundane animal, its intelligence is severly limited, reducing it's options in the game quite drastically. So, I'd advise against that in most cases. Playing a magical animal with human-equivalent intelligence (even if it's low) would be much preferable.

Second, there's the problem of communicating with the other player characters. Unless they have a character that is similar to a Druid, Ranger, Beastmaster, etc. who is able to interpret or even speak the animal's language, interaction with the rest of the group will be rather difficult. And since you indicate they aren't particularly excited about the prospect, they probably also won't have fun trying to integrate him.

Ultimately, it will depend on your group. If you aren't averse to the idea, just discuss it with all players present.

I agree, and that's how I'll handle it.
I guess the issue, I and the rest of the group have, is that he wants and actual animal. So limited intelligence and lack of dialog is the problem.
-
On the side, what kind weird requests did your players have?

ThirdWizard

First Post
maybe suggest him to play something like Sir Bearington

TaLGCXP.jpg

"You wear a disguise to look like human guys. But you're not a man, you're a chicken, Boo.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, the limited intelligence is an issue. For example, did the player come up with the "dog runs up to distract guards" thing? Dogs have a whole whopping 3 Int. I am not at all sure that kind of tactical planning and understanding of the party's goals and the behavior of others is within a dog's capabilities. In fantasy, we might live with having a character order a dog to do such a thing and have it work, but come up with the plan all on its own?

Remove ads