• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Player wanting to be a kobold

ArcOfCorinth

First Post
A kobold paladin to be specific. As the DM, I have a few questions. The -4 Str, +2 Dex is rather harsh and the skill bonuses aren't that great. I feel it would be a great roleplaying experience but I don't want her to feel that her character can't keep up with the rest of the party (dwarven fighter, dwarven cleric, halfling rogue, gnome ranger and gnome sorcerer). Any suggestions/help on how to beef up a 1st level kobold paladin?

Sir Whiskers

First Post
IIRC, the celestial template is worth +1 ECL. How about letting the player run a celestial kobold paladin? If nothing else, that can help explain why the kobold is a lawful good paladin.

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
The small size bonusses and 30 ft speed, as well as +1 natural armour, make for an excellent playable character race without any modifications. Though weapon finesse or archery is highly recommended, admittedly.

Conaill

First Post
Soldarin's ECL calculator comes up with an ECL of exactly 0. As Ravellion indicated, make sure to play up your bonuses: normal speed, Dex bonus, +3(!) AC (+1 Size, +1 natural, +1 Dex), darkvision, etc.

Would make for a great rogue or scout. Paladin might be a little hard, because he can't (and shouldn't!) carry too much armor. Make sure to get an interesting mount though! Hmm... Dire Weasels are size Medium... :D

Last edited:

Pierson Lowgal

First Post
I player in the last campaign I played in played a Kobold Paladin, with no ECL adjustment vs. other human and Elfish characters. His character was pretty terrible, but he enjoyed playing the little fellow though.

Don't get tied up in good/bad meaning the same as powerful/awful. If the player wants to play a Kobold Paladin, let him (or her).

Sejs

First Post
Dire Weasel with the reptilian tempate even. *nodnod*

Btw, Conail- stat mods come in increments of 2, so it's +2 dex, not +3.

Remove ads