• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Players gone wild in Hommlet - RTTOEE

Carnifex

First Post
I'd say that the half-a-party which has a chance to go on is the rogue and fighter, rather than the cleric (who burned a load of guards to death, whereas the fighter didn't kill anyone I don't think). I'd recommend that cleric suffers alignment shift to at least N if not NE - he certainly isn't acting lawfully, anyway...

Storm Raven

First Post
Dieter said:
According to the outcomes posted by Zouken, it sounds as if half the party (the cleric & rogue) have a sporting chance at continuing the adventure.

Are you talking about the same cleric who helped kill a barmaid without provocation, fought the local law enforcement when they tried to arrest him, roasted members of the Hommlet watch and then snuck away? Do you really think he shouldn't have a bounty on his head? Do you really think he'll ever be able to show his face in Hommlet again without being hunted by the town watch along with Rufus and Burne?

At the least he should be dogged by bounty hunters hoping to cash in on the sizeable fortune to be had by apprehending him for the rest of his life. In all liklihood he should be tracked by Elmo and his men and brought to justice quickly.

KnowTheToe

First Post
Storm Raven is right in all of his posts. The fighter is a dead man. Yes, in modern courts he may escape death while the Cleric and Barbarian die, but I don't think here there would be a seperation.

As a DM you have to be careful. Why did your players do this? I had a friend who became like the barbarian in every adventure and as a result we stopped gaming for years. In the beginning it was sort of fun to see had badly he could destroy an adventure, even when I was running one. You always had to consider the "Eric" factor into the game. I have really enjoyed this thread because of this.

Zouken

First Post
There is no way the cleric will be able to show his face again in Hommlet if he values his life. The cleric and halfling could continure the adventure against the cult, but they are going to half to find out where they are hiding without going into Hommlet. I may drop some hints in Nulb or the old Temple if they decide to go there.

The fighter's player won't be able to play for the next month or so, so the fighter will convieniently rot in prison for awhile and then be kicked out of Hommlet. After this he can try to find the rest of the party if he so desires.

This is pretty annoying, it will take some work to get things on track, and or modify the campaign to allow for play styles. I may just have them wonder in the wilderness, endulge in some boring hack & slash and constant onslaught of bounty hunters, monsters, etc. until they decide they're ready for something else. I figure, why prepare, when it's all going to go down the tubes anyway.

Zouk'

Dieter

First Post
It seems 2cp goes alot further these days...

I've been in fantasy-based games where not one, but several organizations "wanted to have a word" with my group. Half the fun of gaming is the great unknown. If I'm the player who has had the character since 1st level, I'd want a sporting chance of getting out a perilous situation...that's what adventuring is about.

At the least, the cleric could flee to a nearby town, seeking sanctuary in a local temple (perhaps not Boccob). The possibilities are endless.

All I know is that if I were that cleric, I wouldn't go down without a fight. Screw my faith...Boccob is not going to protect me now, but some other deity might.

Carnifex

First Post
You might just want to have a talk with the players and reform the party anew, perhaps keeping the halfling rogue along - say he goes and gets together some new companions to deal with the Temple of Elemental Evil. The 'talk' beforehand would involve you saying you didn't want the same behaviour again, because it simply ruins the adventure.

If you're not happy with it, tell them.

Carnifex

First Post
Oh, you could also, should he come to trial, put forwards an argument in the fighters defence that he was misled by the barbarian and cleric :)

Christian

Explorer
Carnifex said:
I'd recommend that cleric suffers alignment shift to at least N if not NE - he certainly isn't acting lawfully, anyway...

Yes-definitely NE. This has the added benefit that the next time he used Detect Evil, it'll ping on him, at which point he should, for the sake of consistency, kill himself. :D

Numion

First Post
I'd let the rogue off the hook.

For others, death penalty. In those times it isn't more expensive to execute than to provide someone for live.

BTW, Storm Raven, great posts!

Remove ads